walking - treadmill and on road

Options
Well I am facing a dilemma about calories to log in - I walk at a moderate pace for about 30 mins everyday in the ground - the MFP log in for 3 mph moderate pace - comes to 110 calories. Just to change I sometimes use the treadmill - walking at 4 kmph( which is appox 2.5 mph) - for 30 mins - the machine tells me I have burned 240 calories! Is walking at about the same pace different in both?
Which of them should I follow?
Those who do the treadmill will have some idea - please suggest.

Replies

• blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    for the road walking, I suggest using mapmyrun.com to calculate your calories. you trace your walking route using their maps and then it calculates the mileage very specifically. You can then tell it exactly how long it took you to walk it and based on that information and your weight and height, it will tell you calories burned. I've heard the calorie counters on machines are notoriously inaccurate. If you really want to know, get a heart rate monitor, it's the most exact way.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Well I am facing a dilemma about calories to log in - I walk at a moderate pace for about 30 mins everyday in the ground - the MFP log in for 3 mph moderate pace - comes to 110 calories. Just to change I sometimes use the treadmill - walking at 4 kmph( which is appox 2.5 mph) - for 30 mins - the machine tells me I have burned 240 calories! Is walking at about the same pace different in both?
    Which of them should I follow?
    Those who do the treadmill will have some idea - please suggest.

Multiply your body weight in kilograms x 3.3 to get calories per hour for walking 3.0 mph.

Multiply your body weight in kilograms x 3.0 to get calories per hour for walking 4.0 kph.

Not every machine is inaccurate--but some are. The major brands like Life Fitness and Precor try to be more precise in their calculations--lesser brands or home models tend to be the least.
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks Azdak - thats a real good peice of information