Quinoa Question

Options
saraann4
saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
Never heard of it. Never tried it. What does it taste like? What can you compare it to? Where do you find it in a grocery store? It looks weird, but I'm willing to try it. It kind of looks good. What do you make it with? :)

Replies

• irisheyes67
    Options
    Its like rice or pasta ...you can make it taste like you want. There's some recipes on Allreceipes.com. I just bought plain recently and plan on flavor it with herbs. What I have tried was good but was already seasoned. Hope this helps!
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    cooks like rice.. but better.. I cooked some last week cooled it down and the next day I had some with fresh strawberrys..
    Replace any of your reg rice dishes with it
  • clemsontiger78
    clemsontiger78 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It tastes like a nutty rice. I use it for all kinds of things. Tonight it was my rice in my stir fry. I have a recipe that is lik oatmeal. Look at allrecipes. They have all kinds of uses.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    May sound stupid, but really haven't ever heard of it before until I came on here...is it better than rice calorie wise? Where do you find it in a supermarket?
  • happylifenwife
    happylifenwife Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) is really, really delicious and the most protein packed whole grain available. I use it as a replacement to rice in a lot of dishes. It is everywhere now, usually found in the health food section of stores. It cooks really quickly and is great made with chicken or vegetable broth. You can even sweeten it in the mornings with canned pumpkin and spices. Yummy!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    May sound stupid, but really haven't ever heard of it before until I came on here...is it better than rice calorie wise? Where do you find it in a supermarket?
    TBH I think it's pretty on-par with rice as far as overall cals go? But it's got less carbs and more protein.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    It has become more prevalent in regular supermarket chains, I usually find it by the rice and couscous.
  • zamiesgirl
    zamiesgirl Posts: 37
    Options
    I cook it then separate it into containers with black beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, Jalapeno and when i ready to eat it I drizzle little balsamic on it. I usually fix about 3-4 bowls and eat them for my lunch throughout the week.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Its a high protein grain, you can use it how you would rice in any dish, or as a breakfast cereal (this is my favorite way) You can get it ANYWHERE most grocery stores, even walmart.
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    JUST HAD SOME FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY(FOR DINNER) AND TODAY (MORNING SNACK) DINNER WAS IN PLACE OF RICE AND I PUT ORGANIC SALSA AND GARLIC POWDER IN IT. FOR THE MORNING I PUT ALMOND BUTTER, AGAVE NECTAR, HALF SCOOP OF WHEY ISOLATE, AND A SPLASH OF SILK UNSWEETENED ALMOND MILK. IT WAS GREAT BOTH WAYS. Sorry for being too lazy to remove caps lock LOL
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of the taste of brown rice, but the texture is different because it's smaller. It's good! I need to start eating it again, I've only ever had it at my grandma's house.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It's soo good! I tried it for the first time on Monday. I had it with meatballs and sauce. Very yummy. And it cooks so quick!
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I buy Ancient Harvest Quinoa at Walmart. It is the exact same stuff that they sell at our local health food store, but cheaper. I cook it in low sodium chicken broth and then mix some green vegys into it.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You can use it in the same way you use rice. So as a side, in casseroles, stirfry, etc. People also eat it like oatmeal for breakfast, but I personally wasn't a fan of that when I tried it myself. You can cook it in water, or for my flavor use chicken broth. It tastes like most other grains, like rice or cous cous. You can usually find it in the same spot as the rice, it's pretty easy to find these days too.

Just make sure you rinse it before cooking (unless the package says it's been pre-rinsed), otherwise it can be too bitter.
  • shoegazer7
    shoegazer7 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi there. I just "discovered" quinoa by frequenting a little cafe across from where I work that serves quinoa with roasted root vegetable salad. DELICIOUS!
    Here's a link that gives all the reasons why quinoa is a great addition to your diet:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options

It is a complete protein, which is pretty awesome considering you cant get a complete protein one thing aside from meats/seafood. (You can by combining other types of proteins but this is amazing since it has all the amino acids). You can do so much with it, I agree with others about subbing it for rice in certain dishes. I like to use it with black beans and make my own veggie burger. Also, I've made a quinoa porridge several times for breakfast with fresh fruit and almond milk. Good luck!
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's actually a seed that is protected by a bitter outer husk. When you buy it in the store it has the husk removed, but it's a good idea to soak it first if your not sure. Soaking removes any bitter remnant of the husk. I believe that quinoa is a complete protein because it has all 9 amino acids.

Safeway carry's it, and so does Walmart.

Here is the link for Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ancient-Harvest-Traditional-Quinoa-12-oz/10533070

There are alot of foody sites that cover this ancient aztec food, just google it. :smile:

Enjoy!
  • rosarenee1
    rosarenee1 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-WAH) is really, really delicious and the most protein packed whole grain available. I use it as a replacement to rice in a lot of dishes. It is everywhere now, usually found in the health food section of stores. It cooks really quickly and is great made with chicken or vegetable broth. You can even sweeten it in the mornings with canned pumpkin and spices. Yummy!

I've never thought to use the canned pumpkin in it. Mmm. I just so happen to have two cans in the pantry waiting to be cooked. :)
  • weetoyzz
    weetoyzz Posts: 1
    Options
    I like it. I think the best way to try it is in a salad. Chop't restaurants will add it to your salad for 99 cents. It has a mild, nutty taste, not strong just mild. It is a light grain. Lighter in texture than rice. Hope that helps.