supplements after narcotic abuse??

Options
Ok i was an addict off and on for 4 years..Addicted to anything as strong as heroin all the way to anything as week as tylenol 3..I haVe been clean a week:happy: with the help of suboxone..Dont kknow if anyone is familiar with this treatment..It helps you not to crave drugs..So my question is what vitamins and supplements should I be taking by veiwing my prior history?? I want to be healthy after this terrible addiction..I have already lost 11 pounds putting me at 156..I eat as healthy as i can. so now what should i be taking ?? Thanks in advance!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sobriety....I know the pain that addiction can cause.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the sobriety. Talk to your doctor. They may want to do some blood tests and see if you are deficient.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Often times you can get all the vitamins and nutrients you need from a proper diet. I haven't taken vitamins in almost 20 years.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you need to take anything, no one in my family takes any vitamins and we are all very healthy, getting all of our nutrients from food.
    I don't know much about drug abuse, would that make you deficiant? this is definatly a question for your doctor and not the internet.
    wanted to add to that if you are tlaking about diet pills etc, then I don't think you should take anything at all, especially with an addictive personality, most of those things are junk and if you do lose weight while taking them it isn't in a permanant and healty way, the only way to do that is change your life to healthy eating and regular exercise
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    Congratulations on your sobriety! I've seen how hard it is to get sober so I think that should be your number one priority. Everything else should take a back seat for awhile.

Good luck and keep up the good work! :bigsmile:
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    I agree that taking this time to focus on sobriety is key.
    As you progress, I would consult your doctor about proper vitamins to take.
    We don't want "popping pills" to set you off again.
    :flowerforyou:
  • buffjess
    buffjess Posts: 382
    Options
    Misty

No I was not talking about diet pills..And if I were it would be immpossible for me to get addicted after the hard stuff i have used..I was meaning in the sense of vitamins and minerals and such
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    a week is a nice milestone. and i am not trying to be a negative nancy raining on your parade, but i am sure you know how hard it is. congrats on the milestone, but you have a long hard road ahead of you, and when you stay on that pathway, that is where your health will be. you can do this. avoid all triggers, including users. and create new ones if you want your new hobby to be your health. take up running, go to the gym, go swimming, take a sober friend out and play a sport, even get ice cream! ice cream isn't sooo bad.

congrats on your efforts.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I have been there, and am still there. It doesn't get easier, especially if you haven't changed peer groups. But - you *do* get stronger. You made the first step, and if you're determined thats all it takes. I'm proud of you.

As for supplements, I'm a vegetarian, so I take a daily multivitamin just to make sure I have my bases covered.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    I agree to check with your doctor. But I take a normal women's multivitamin, just in case my diet is lacking in the basics. Calcium is also something I sometimes supplement because I never drink milk.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are already doing this but I will suggest that you go to AA or another support group. You might be able to get better answers there. Also, some people will tell you not to diet yet, but to become whole and healthy again first. I'm not a Dr, but I think that if a diet can keep your mind on something else other than drugs than do it! You can change your life for the better anytime and it is always a positive.
    It took guts to post this thred, and I think that your open attitude will make all the diff! Keep it up, ask for help when you feel weak, it is a long hard road, but you are the one who writes your life-make it a best seller!
    :flowerforyou: