Diet pills

Options
I am doing the medical weight loss... sort of. Anyway ive only lost 22 punds in 3 months and according to my plan I should have lost 50 by now. I of course do cheat because I am STARVING TO DEATH!!! So they gave me adipex. Everyone said oh you will have to make yourself... you wont be hungry at all..... Yeah that didn't happen. So I started taking two a day each at a different time. Yep still starving with no appetite suppression going on. Actually I think I am even hungrier. So I talked to the dr and she gave me tenuate.... uhm ok I am a nurse and I know that tenuate isnt as strong as adipex so the result was the same. I feel like Im eating expensive tic-tacs. Has anyone else had this problem? I basically all but quit the medical weight loss because I can't do it because I get so hungry and shaky I eat everything in site.

So my typical day of eating is:
breakfast oatmeal
then I do 3 protein shakes and a protein bar until dinner which by then Im starving so I eat the first thing i see i dont drink anything but water which is flavored with crystal light. Im slacking on my exercising because I have been so tried but Im trying to get started again.

Replies

• angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honestly. . .what is your rush? You said you've "only" lost 22 lbs in 3 months: that's a lot of weight. You didn't become overweight overnight, so you shouldn't worry about losing weight overnight.

You're a nurse. You know that you should be focusing on good health overall. The weight loss will follow (and, in your case, is already happening). I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be willing to help you find a plan that will let you be a bit less hungry but still lose weight in a reasonable fashion. It might not be 50 lbs in 3 months, but it would help reduce the cheating.

Incidentally, I'm taking Zonregran (not for weight loss, but it supposedly has appetite suppressing qualities). I'm hungrier than ever. So. . .meds are no guarantee.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I took diet pills when I was deployed in 2006. All I will say is never again. When I was done I literally went through a withdrawal.

If your finding that you are hungry all the time why not skip the diet pills and just eat 5-6 {or more depending on your exercise/calorie burn} meals a day?
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Options
    Well I have stopped the diet pills. I haven't taken them in a few weeks actually so I never really had any withdrawel or anything from them. The only thin with the medical weight loss is I had to pay for that and am still paying for that no matter if I lose or not and it is A LOT OF MONEY. I was supposed to lose 100lbs in 6 months and it can be done. I just can't starve myself to do it. They think I am stupid at the clinic I go to beause I tell them im hungry. Well her reply was "well you are the only one" so I said... well im probably the only one admitting it. I don't do well with people treating me like crap. Anyway i go every week and don't lose a pound. I lost 22 pounds in a month and half and haven't lost anymore. I usually take in about 1400 cal a day and add exercise to that so really I should be losing weight but Im not. Im stuck and it's driving me insane. I have to pay for the weight loss.... that im not losing and watch all their commercials on tv about how john lost 98lbs and is STILL LOSING... yeah well I bet he starved to death as well.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Has your doctor not coached you on healthy options that will make you feel fuller for longer? More proteing less carbs??? Has your doctor referred you to a dietician that can help you with finding a balance that wont leave you feeling hungry?

Looking at your diary you are consuming processed foods and foods that will do nothing but raise your blood sugar then make you crash craving more. If you try more protein, fruit and veggies you will feel fuller longer.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    Drop the diet pills; drop the crash diet. I've been there, done that. Such rapid weight loss (50 pounds in 3 months?) would never be healthy or long-lasting. Temporarily satisfying, yes, but not permanent and not conducive to long-term health. Effective weight loss requires TIME and PATIENCE. I know how frustrating it is to workout, and count calories,and only see 1-2 pounds at a time drop off the scale. But they do drop. And then a couple more, and then a couple more. And eventually you'll get where you want to be. You don't have to be hungry; eat filling vegetables and high-fiber foods. Eat a baked potato. Eat a couple pieces of chicken. Do it the way thousands of us are doing it: slow and steady wins the race. Why starve yourself when in the end, you won't have made any lifestyle changes and you'll end up right back where you started?

Find your BMR, add 200, and then eat that many calories a day. Add exercise to the mix and you'll feel great.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    They just don't work on you.

I have taken them several times.....Phentermine. Evertime I get prescribed them I lose less weight because my body gets used to them. Before I start trying other drugs and really forming a problem, I just decided to try losing it the right way so I would learn how to keep it off. This way works better and I feel better. Sure the weightloss isn't as fast but damn if isn't more rewarding. Sure feels good to say I worked my *kitten* off to lose weight instead of I took a pill and starved myself.

What is done is done. Don't go back to pills. Get on the calorie counting band wagon, excerise, and up your calorie intake to about 1800 and you should still see results just not as
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    I agree with Monica. You should ditch the processed foods. Go for more healthier options {just because something doesn't have a lot of calories, or falls within your calorie range, doesn't make it healthy}.

I always bring small snacks to work with me. Fruit, granola, Greek yogurt some veggies {bell peppers or cucumbers for example} and my lunch typically consists of something along the lines of spinach leaves {salad} with tuna, mixed/raw veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini... etc with a bit of seasonings and maybe some more fresh fruit on the side. Eating like this now I always, ALWAYS stay full. I have my protein shakes for BFast {and I will add fruit and soy milk} and that typically holds me over until 10AM {I have my shake at 6am}. That could be another reason why you aren't losing anymore. Your body isn't getting all of the nutrients it needs and add processed food on top of it and your metabolism will just hit a plateau.
  • cassienp
    Options
    Has your doctor not coached you on healthy options that will make you feel fuller for longer? More proteing less carbs??? Has your doctor referred you to a dietician that can help you with finding a balance that wont leave you feeling hungry?

Looking at your diary you are consuming processed foods and foods that will do nothing but raise your blood sugar then make you crash craving more. If you try more protein, fruit and veggies you will feel fuller longer.

See that's the thing you only see the doctor once a month if you ask them to let you see her. Then she only gives you a prescription and you leave. The people that work there have used the diet to lose like 30 pounds they aren't trying to lose major weight like someone like me. Yes they do tell me that I need to eat veggies but honestly I haven't found a veggie that I can eat without gagging. With the diet you are not allowed fruit.... it raises your blood sugar and causes you to crash just like you said. So I am in fact destroying my diet myself because I am so hungry. Also there are no dieticians involved in this. All I eat is protein and I mean a lot of protein in these things that it messes with my bowel movements.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Honey, please listen to a voice of experience: the only thing a diet "program" will do for you is yo-yo. That's right, your weight will continue to go up and down. They haven't taught you how to eat in the real world, just their gimick to lose this time.
    And DRUGS???REALLY???? Just say NO!!!!!
    EAT and pick up some heavy weights (they won't make you bulky) and build a bit of muscle.
    There is no short cut to LONG TERM health!
    Good luck~
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    oh my god. Why are you eating so much protein?

Your diet needs vitamins and carbs, full fats and minerals! All that processed protein is going to mess up your body. Breakfast should be big and filling, and lunch should be a few small, filling meals so you don't feel shakey and horrible at dinnertime!
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine 37.5mg and had to make myself eat,because i never was hungry.Now i just take pure coffee beans(pill) and i just have great energy all day..Who knows ,that weight center maybe messing up your hormones or something may be outa whack.(Thyroid)I hope it gets worked out though,i could see how it would be discouraging:(
    Protein fills up up!and carbs make you crave crap all day but, once you get all that in line i would think the cravings would go away!Fingers crossed!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say but that sounds awful, and unsustainable. What happens when you eat food again? Hope it all works out!
  • cassienp
    Options

See that's the thing you only see the doctor once a month if you ask them to let you see her. Then she only gives you a prescription and you leave. The people that work there have used the diet to lose like 30 pounds they aren't trying to lose major weight like someone like me. Yes they do tell me that I need to eat veggies but honestly I haven't found a veggie that I can eat without gagging. With the diet you are not allowed fruit.... it raises your blood sugar and causes you to crash just like you said. So I am in fact destroying my diet myself because I am so hungry. Also there are no dieticians involved in this. All I eat is protein and I mean a lot of protein in these things that it messes with my bowel movements.

Wow I never realized how whiny I sounded. :embarassed:
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Too much Protein-not enough Fiber= not happy girl!
  • cassienp
    Options

Oh definitely not. I mean I already had some bowel problems... called spastic colitis which basically mean I poop about 3-4 times a day or well after at least every meal haha. Now with all the protein I started going maybe 1 every 2-3 days and that is not comfortable for me. I had to start taking senna sometimes to help me go.
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Oh definitely not. I mean I already had some bowel problems... called spastic colitis which basically mean I poop about 3-4 times a day or well after at least every meal haha. Now with all the protein I started going maybe 1 every 2-3 days and that is not comfortable for me. I had to start taking senna sometimes to help me go.

Instead of turning to pills, why not just have a healthy diet? There are a lot of great suggestions on mfp. You can still drink a shake or two a day, but you should really eat more balanced nutritional meals too!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

So in addition to pills, and fake food you're adding laxatives. Do you read what you're saying hon? It's a recipe for disaster!
  • cassienp
    Options
    LOL that would have been the logical thing to do but I was looking for a fast way to drop a lot of weight because I really hate myself you know. So i picked the medical weight loss and am stuck paying for something that doesn't work for me. I'm out a few thousand dollars with no results.
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    We gain weight slow, so you have to drop it slow.
    If you rush it your health will be the cost.

Drop the shakes, bars & pills.

Put hemp on your food to fill you up.

Eat veggies, chicken, fruits, beans. Get your food groups in! Just watch out for bread, if I have it, it will be multi grain flat bread.

Drink lots of water, good luck ☺
  • cassienp
    Options
    In the end all I really want is to be healthy. I have a 15 month old baby girl that I want to be around as long as possible for. I want to have more children and actually look pregnant. I don't want the looks when I am pregnant, you know the ones, is she pregnant or just fat? Yeah I got those ALL THE TIME! I never looked pregnant, just fatter and I missed out. I want to wear cute clothes and look good! I want to wear a pair of jean and not have seven layers lay over the waistband.