Running and Humidity

It's certainly getting more humid here in NC and that is making my runs much more difficult. I am still a beginner at the whole running thing and this is probably the first Summer since I was a child that I have run in the heat and humidity. Growing up I had horrible asthma that I seemed to have grown out of, but it seems to be returning due to the humidity.

Does anyone have tips or advice on how to make this easier (so that I can finish a run without feeling as though an elephant is sitting on my chest?)

Thanks!

Replies

• nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    I'm in SC, so I completely understand what you are talking about. No advice, except run as early in the morning as possible. Also, my doctor told me to weigh myself without clothes before running and weigh again afterwards to make sure that I am consuming enough fluids. He actually gave me a formula for determining the needed fluid consumption rate per mile run. I sort of tuned him out, but he's an avid runner so I'm sure he knew what he was talking about. Just take fluids (need water and sports drink), or some fruit if you have a way to carry it. Good luck!!