HELP!

Options
Hello all, I'm feeling a little bit lost right now. I'm 5'1 and weigh about 120 pounds now. I started out at 160 pounds six months ago. I would appreciate it if you would give me your opinions and look through my diary. I don't know if I should keep going (maybe till I hit 110) or just maintain what I've lost now as my body seems to be rather worn out (my hair is falling out).
I also don't know how to maintain. I can't eat more than what I'm eating now without feeling guilty and terrified that I'll gain all of my weight back. I think what I'm eating is adequate but I know its not because I keep losing weight. I'm not sure what to do. It's hard to explain how I'm feeling. Any opinions?

--- my main questions are, should I keep going or just maintain. if i should maintain how do i do that?

and in reality, i don't think its possible for me to maintain. If I'm not constantly losing weight i fall into depression.

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not public, so it's hard to comment. Hair falling out is a bad sign. If it's hard for you to start eating a lot more calories, just increase it 100 cals at a time.
  • Zadie92
    Zadie92 Posts: 11
    Options
    I fixed that!
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    If you are happy with the way your clothes fit and the way you feel, then maintain. Just go to SETTINGS . Also check Tools to check your new metabolic rate. Since your weight is lower you won't need as many calories, but if you are active you can eat a lite snack post workout.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Are you logging everything you eat? You are literally starving yourself. Eating 300-400 calories daily is dangerous and unsustainable, as you are starting to find out. This sort of eating can do serious damage to your body. Please start eating more. Fruits, nuts, veggies, pretty much anything and everything. Food is not your enemy.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems like losing your hair, see your Doctor and be honest with him or her. Take your diary if it is accurate and talk to them.
  • Zadie92
    Options
    I do log everything I eat, but thats the thing I've gotten so used to eating this much that I feel terrible when I go over that. I don't know how to shake that feeling.
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    Honey the problem is that you are Mal-nurished! You are eating WAY too few calories. No wonder your hair is falling out. Girl you need some more calories in your life and specifically some more protein!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more than your eating in one day in a meal and about 4 times what you're eating in a day and I'm still losing weight.

You are developing an eating disorder that's why your hair is falling out! Please eat something. I had a flatmate once that was doing what you're doing, it came to the point where she couldn't eat anymore without getting physically sick (not purging) - actually sick cause her body couldn't handle food when she tried to eat. Then she lived on water for about a month, all this time I didn't know any of this was happening because she stopped talking to me and stayed in her room 24/7.

She ended up going to the ER, passing out on the bus on the way there but somehow she got there 2 days after she left our apartment.

She then spent 2-3 weeks in hospital, in a coma, where her body swelled up due to malnutrition (like the stomaches of some kids in Ethiopia) never came out of the coma and died.

I hope this scares you enough to go to the doctor and start eating!
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Hair loss is a sign of malnurition You have to eat enough calories to sustain your body. You obviously aren't eating enough which is why your body is no longer supporting hair - the calories are needed to sustain your organs. If you don't start eating eough calories, you'll find that your hair will fall out and then you'll notice your teeth will be next. Get those calories up!
  • Zadie92
    Options
    That's really, really awful. As you can see, I am eating though.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    That's really, really awful. As you can see, I am eating though.

You're eating very, very little. My two year old daughter who weighs 28 pounds eats more than you do. I'm about your size (5'1" 118 lbs) and eat 1400 - 1600 cals a day. I'm not gaining weight. Appearance cannot be so important that you are willing to risk organ damage and death.

Please get yourself to a doctor, take your diary with you, and let them figure out how much damage you have done, and how to fix it. Weight is the least of your concerns.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I usually eat more than your eating in one day in a meal and about 4 times what you're eating in a day and I'm still losing weight.

You are developing an eating disorder that's why your hair is falling out! Please eat something. I had a flatmate once that was doing what you're doing, it came to the point where she couldn't eat anymore without getting physically sick (not purging) - actually sick cause her body couldn't handle food when she tried to eat. Then she lived on water for about a month, all this time I didn't know any of this was happening because she stopped talking to me and stayed in her room 24/7.

She ended up going to the ER, passing out on the bus on the way there but somehow she got there 2 days after she left our apartment.

She then spent 2-3 weeks in hospital, in a coma, where her body swelled up due to malnutrition (like the stomaches of some kids in Ethiopia) never came out of the coma and died.

I hope this scares you enough to go to the doctor and start eating!

This ^ You are starving yourself and it sounds ike you are developing an eating disorder :frown:
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    I'm so saddened by your post. This is one of many young girls on here that I have seen post about eating so few calories it is almost unbelievable. Please seek some help! You must sense that you shouldn't lose any more weight like this or you wouldn't have posted. I have a daughter your age. I hope you seek some professional help. 300 calories is a meal, it's not an entire day's allotment of calories. I'm not judging you; I'm worried about you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Your diary breaks my heart. Please seek some professional help before you do permanent damage to yourself.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to eat more dear!! You aren't eating NEAR enough to even fuel your body!!!
    I've struggled with eating disorders in my past, if people are telling you that you aren't eating enough and what not, listen!
    I had an eating disorder when I was about 13 and my body STILL isn't normal (I'm almost 23) please do it the healthy way-it's much better for you trust me, you'll live longer, you'll feel better and your body won't hate you!!

check this link out, it'll tell you how much you should be eating!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538943-how-to-calculate-calorie-goals-according-to-nrolfw

if you still feel like like crap or bad about yourself for eating HALF of what you're supposed to be eating, get help...you would def have and eating disorder.
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    and after reading the part about your hair falling out and you get depressed when you eat what you're supposed to, you def have an eating disorder, your hair falling out, lack of energy, depression is a response to what you're doing to your body that may never be fixed if you keep going! please listen to everyone!!!!!!
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    http://www.eating-disorders.org.uk/effects_of_under-eating.html

Read this, sound familiar? Not going to be nice about this, but ****ing eat something. My girlfriend is 116 and same height, she looks perfectly gorgeous though I'd actually like her to gain some weight(eating well and getting into some training.). That number means nothing.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    I do log everything I eat, but thats the thing I've gotten so used to eating this much that I feel terrible when I go over that. I don't know how to shake that feeling.

If you are having this issue, you need to find calorie dense foods that won't be that much physical food, but will give your body calories to fuel it. Peanut butter is good, almond butter. I am sure there are plenty others, I just really haven't looked into this. If you cannot physically eat more, you need to eat better.
  • BuckeyeLife
    Options
    Your diary breaks my heart. Please seek some professional help before you do permanent damage to yourself.

Whole heartedly this. You sincerely need help, you may not agree or realize it, but you NEED TO TELL SOMEONE and let them make the call. Take your bias judgement out of it and put it in the hands of someone who you trust. You do not realize how serious of an issue this is. You are not "eating," you are scraping by with a bare functioning minimum and your body is telling you enough is enough, feed it.
  • rolyh
    rolyh Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Whole heartedly this. You sincerely need help, you may not agree or realize it, but you NEED TO TELL SOMEONE and let them make the call. Take your bias judgement out of it and put it in the hands of someone who you trust. You do not realize how serious of an issue this is. You are not "eating," you are scraping by with a bare functioning minimum and your body is telling you enough is enough, feed it.

They are right - don't believe everything you think. You are already taking a step back and thinking it through in your first post, keep it going.