The whole day is ruined after a workout? So exhausted

Hi,

I know others have posted similar questions, but I'll try to be specific.

I've been doing chalean extreme with some TF and TJ thrown in (not a scheduled hybrid, just subbing in TF for cardio and doing some HIITs on weight days sometimes). It's not so bad when I only do the weights. But when I do Turbo Fire, I am just spent. I'm okay for a couple of hours - not even hungry but I try to eat anyway. But then I crash and can't even move. My head feels achy and my body gets hot flashes (I'm 26 :-)) and standing up gives me a bad headrush.

I'm also wicked sore from the weights, so that contributes to not wanting to get up.

I am eating a good (vegan), protein breakfast. Balanced with carbs and veggies or fruit. I work out a couple of hours later - drinking water with a nuun tablet for electrolytes. Afterward I have a smoothie with peanut butter or some leftovers or something for lunch.

Then a couple hours after that is when the crash sets in. usually 4 pm or so. I'm on a writer's schedule. Up at 10 or 11...

I also have a horribly empty stomach most of the time, even though I am eating back my exercise calories.

Will this just get better? I've only been back at this for a few weeks.

I don't want to open up my food diary, since I don't want other people judging my food choices for being vegan. But I can definitely answer more questions about food if it helps.

I will say this has also happened to me in the past. Runs can knock me out, power yoga, too. And that goes back to my meat-eating days.

Any suggestions welcomed! But please be kind. :-)

K

* oh - MFP tells me to eat 1560. I eat back exercise cals, based on "kickboxing" for TF or TJ and "Weight training" for Chalean extreme.

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Regarding the empty stomach thing, as a former vegan, I can almost guarantee you're not getting enough fats unless you're making the effort to eat higher-fat foods.

With exercise, make sure you're getting enough water. Especially during long workouts, what feels like enough at that moment probably isn't. I personally get very lightheaded even after short jogs without enough water.
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    I don't know but I think its got to be what you are eating or not eating. Are you sure you are getting in enough calories, protien, healthy fats and water?

I have several friends that are 100% vegan, work out with me 5-6 days per week and is always full of energy. Our workouts are pretty hard too.

I am not vegan, although i do try to incoroporate more raw food into my diet.

I think you need to share what you are eating with other vegans on this board who have high intensitey workouts like yours. I am sure they are here somewhere.

Good luck and have a green smoothie. :)
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Haha, thanks both of you.

I definitely drink green smoothies and green juice.

I haven't really been paying attention to fat, just protein. Are you saying have a "normal" amount of fat? Or that as a vegan I should have even more fat than a non-vegan.

I will also try to up my water. I think that might be a big part of it, not that you mention it.
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    A few weeks ago I was completely drained of energy for about a week. It turned out I was somewhat dehydrated. I started drinking more water and almost right away I felt better. I sort of laughed at myself because I should have known better.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    you should have a normal amount of fat, so i recommend you do some research to find out what macro percents you want. mine personally is 25% carbs, 45% protein, 30% fat.