My cereal is better than yours!

Options
Rayman79
Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
OK, not wanting to start a riot here, but I am curious about the nutritional values of people's cereals. I definitely like my cereal to start the day - old habits... it is one of my good sources of fibre for the day too. Lately I have been trying to make myself 'like' oats because they are so good for me, then I decided to do a quick comparison against the cereal I usually eat, and was surprised at the results!

Oats (40g serve): 153 cals, 23C, 4F, 5P. Fibre 4, Sodium 5. Some pretty good numbers there, and shedloads better than a lot of processed cereals out there, but here's the breakdown of my cereal:

Heart 1st (45g serve): 174 cals, 20C, 5F, 7P, Fibre 11, Sodium 19. In case people are curious, I've added a link to this brand of cereal - not sure if it's available outside Australia though.

http://goodnesssuperfoods.com.au/heart-1st/

Anyone have a cereal with better numbers? I'm always happy to look at different options and have some variety.

edit to include a disclaimer... in case anyone is suspicious I have no affiliation with this company nor do I benefit from promoting their products :laugh:

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Usually I'll have dressed up steel cut oatmeal or a granola made by a local seller.

Oats:
    325 calories
    47g carbs
    12g fat
    12g protein
    7g fiber

Granola with almond milk
    245 calories
    31g carbs
    12g fat
    6g protein
    5g fiber

Try steel-cut oats, they're way better than regular rolled oats.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    A head of romaine lettuce with 5 Tbsp of organic chia seeds:
    400 calories
    40g carbs
    18g fat
    20g protein
    30g fiber
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I don't like cereal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One time I had a bowl of cocoa krispies in a chocolate protein shake. The numbers were ∞
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Since I follow South Beach guidelines I look for cereal that is 100% whole grain and less than 8g. sugar per serving. . Some Kashi cereals, original Cherrios and plain shredded wheat work for SB. That said, I usually eat 1/2C cooked oatmeal topped with carbmaster yogurt and some berries.
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm having 4 TB of oats with 2TB of oat bran, cinammon, flex sees, 5-6 raisins and a cup of almond milk or soy milk and I love it! around 260 calories and keeps me full.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Black rice porridge. I havent counted the calories on this but Im a big fan. Mmm mmm and mmmmm.

http://www.coconutandquinoa.com/2010/11/05/black-rice-porridge-with-coconut/

On another note:
    Red Mill 7 grain hot cereal
    Cal: 140
    P: 6g
    F: 1.5
    C: 28g
    Fiber: 6g

I usually eat it with raisins, cinnamon and a mashed banana.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I want some Captain Crunch.
  • flcherrybomb
    Options
    I am buying alot of organic stuff these days anything processed is bad bad bad so naturally you will prob find more calories in those that are processed. I bought cascadian farms choc o's today has 140 cal w 1/2 cup ff milk I didnt care for it but my son loved it .
  • flcherrybomb
    Options
    nice loll. I used to love that stuff cant believe I ever ate that crap when i was a kid but sure was good at the time :)
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    OK, not wanting to start a riot here, but I am curious about the nutritional values of people's cereals. I definitely like my cereal to start the day - old habits... it is one of my good sources of fibre for the day too. Lately I have been trying to make myself 'like' oats because they are so good for me, then I decided to do a quick comparison against the cereal I usually eat, and was surprised at the results!

Oats (40g serve): 153 cals, 23C, 4F, 5P. Fibre 4, Sodium 5. Some pretty good numbers there, and shedloads better than a lot of processed cereals out there, but here's the breakdown of my cereal:

Heart 1st (45g serve): 174 cals, 20C, 5F, 7P, Fibre 11, Sodium 19. In case people are curious, I've added a link to this brand of cereal - not sure if it's available outside Australia though.

http://goodnesssuperfoods.com.au/heart-1st/

Anyone have a cereal with better numbers? I'm always happy to look at different options and have some variety.

edit to include a disclaimer... in case anyone is suspicious I have no affiliation with this company nor do I benefit from promoting their products :laugh:

Okay, okay. I grabbed my box and was about to smoke your cereal but alas, yours is better. You win.

Ezekiel 4:9 Almond
    1/2 cup or 57 grams
    200 Cals
    3g Fat
    190 mg Sodium
    220 mg Potassium
    38 g Carbs
    6 g Fiber
    8 g Protein
  • jessgrey2
    jessgrey2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like Kashi GoLean:

Per 1 cup:

140 calories

13 gm protien
    10 gm fiber
    30 gm carbs
    1 gm fat
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    One time I had a bowl of cocoa krispies in a chocolate protein shake. The numbers were ∞

Now that sounds awesome!