Would you count standing as exercise?

Options
I'm talking cashiering. Standing for 5 to 9 hours straight and doing cashiery things...
I mean obviously I'm doing more than I would be just sitting on my *kitten*!

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If that's what you do for your daily job, it should be counted in your activity level.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Phyllispaskewitz
    Options
    definitely should count for something
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It does take alot of effort to stand in one spot all day. That is a good question. I work with a semi catatonic man who stands and rocks at least 16 hours a day and he consumes over 4000 calories and doesn't gain weight, so I'd be interested to know!
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok, so im new here and this is only my opinion. I think you should only count things outside of your normal work and daily activities unless they are high calore burners.

Good luck and get moving.
  • alexwalper
    alexwalper Posts: 81
    Options
    I work a retail job on the weekends, so I will usually add the calories that I would have if my activity level was set to lightly active (I'm set to sedentary now). It adds about 200 calories... That probably isn't the most accurate way to do it, but it works for me!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    s9Dra.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If that's what you do for your daily job, it should be counted in your activity level.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This.
  • ComicBookGeekGirl
    Options
    I'm talking cashiering. Standing for 5 to 9 hours straight and doing cashiery things...
    I mean obviously I'm doing more than I would be just sitting on my *kitten*!
    No. When you set your calorie levels for the day, it asks you what you do all day, like light to moderate activity, or sitting around all day. Your activity in your job is already counted in. :)
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

Just quoting the same quote!
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I'm not sweating, I'm not exercising. But to your point, of course you burn more calories standing than just sitting all day. As others have said, that goes under daily activity level - you are not sedentary, but lightly active. But it's not exercise. Now if while you're standing you do some squats or calf raises, then that's different...:smile:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    s9Dra.gif

Quoting just because of the awesome impact.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Bump. Curious about this as well...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

But it has been answered...
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    On Friday nights I BBQ for our local high school football team when there is a game. I track my movements for the day and I had 380 minutes of very slow activity. I am talking about .7 miles and 1326 steps. During this time I am standing the whole entire time and moving around between the BBQ pit and all. I use "All-In Pedometer" on my iPhone and track pretty much any movements throughout the day.

The Pedometer claimed I burned 1538 calories during this time. Is that really true?

I use the Pedometer as a reference point. I don't eat extra because of the calorie loss... for example, one day I had just under 1600 calories for this "Cheat Day" when I am allowed at least 1800.

So is it really possible to burn 1538 calories over 380 minutes of light movement?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

For those too lazy to look up. The answer is no.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    No it's not exercise. Yes it counts into your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). Change your activity level and this will account for the difference.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

But it has been answered...

at least 8 times.

no.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Nope, because your heart rate is not elevated. Just like cleaning is not exercise either. Yeah I vacuum and clean my apartment from time to time, but that's daily stuff. People logging those "burned calories" are just looking for excuses to eat to cover a bad day.