Questions about exercise machines...

Options
Johnnyswife
Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
I use to (and will be going back to,) Fitness 19. I love using the eliptical machine and use it all the time.

Someone here said to use a HRM because its more accurate about calories lost than the machines.They said the HRM said they had burned less than the machine claimed they had burned. :noway:

The only thing is, that our gym's machines have metal parts on the handles that measure your heart rate while you work out. You have to hang on to them the whole workout if you want to see your heart rate, ect.

Has anyone compaired a HRM to a machine that measures your heart rate? Was the monitor different
than the machine?

Do I need to spend $$ on a HRM, or can I count on the machine being correct?

Replies

• agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    A HRM with a chest strap is going to be alot more accurate than the macines because of the simple fact that its closer to your heart. Using a macine that had a built in HRM is going to be more accurate than a machine that doesnt but there isnt a substitute for a good HRM.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    It really just depends on the gym equipment and how new it is. I have a polar f6 HRM, and it is pretty close to the treadmill heart rate settings. As for the elliptical, i found there to be a lot more of a gap. I wasn't burning as many cals as i thought i was.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A HRM is much more accurate. The machines don't calculate your calorie burn accurately even if they can track your HR accurately. Your HRM is individualized to you- your weight, age, etc. IMHO, a good HRM is well worth the money in this battle for fitness and weight loss!!!!:happy:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I went and got a HRM watch at Wal-Mart. Can't afford too much nowadays, but if I think the machines are as accurate, I might return it.
    Thanks for the info! :flowerforyou: