Calorie Confusion Diet to boost metabolism?

Options
Dr. Oz's explanation is below. Has anybody tried this with success?

Metabolism Booster #3: The Calorie Confusion Plan

Eating specific foods in a certain manner can ignite your metabolic fire. Here’s how this plan works: Simply alternate between high calorie days (2000 calories with a dessert) and low calorie days (1200 calories spread over 4 meals). The days you consume more calories, you drive nutrients into cells, building muscle and revving up metabolism. The next day when you cut calories, you’re turning your body into a prime-time fat-burning furnace."

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    There are variations to this plan. Personally I wouldn't do anything Dr. Oz says.

If you stick to your calories you'll lose weight. Throw in a higher calorie day every now and again is something a lot of people on here have suggested to avoid a plateau and keep your body guessing.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    There are variations to this plan. Personally I wouldn't do anything Dr. Oz says.

If you stick to your calories you'll lose weight. Throw in a higher calorie day every now and again is something a lot of people on here have suggested to avoid a plateau and keep your body guessing.

I agree with mallory3411. :)
  • onyxaj
    onyxaj Posts: 17
    Options
    I think calorie confusing is okay, but I wouldn't alternate days. What I do - Eat 'healthy', sticking to your suggested colorie intake and use a steady workout routine, on the weekend, have a cheat day or two. I found that even with these two cheat days on the weekend, I still lose weight (I've lost 4 pounds over the last 4 weeks, and I'm not heavy to start with), and it keeps me from having to be careful over the weekend.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    there is so much controversy on the subject i dont know what to believe any more... i just stick to a caloric defecit and if i feel like having extra food or a cheat meal once in a while i wont feel guilty about it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    It's an age-old technique called zig zagging... as is pretty much everything Dr Oz tries to market as new.

Works for some, not for others.

The "driving nutrients into cells" stuff sounds like typical Dr Oz junk science. I'm much more inclined to say when zig zagging works, it works because higher calorie days help to reset leptin, cortisol and other hormones that can inhibit adipose tissue loss.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I agree with Captain_Tight Though I do love Dr. Oz. :)