plantar fastidious

Options
Hope I spelled that right. pain and inflamation on the sole of your foot. Anyone else have this ? If so how did you get it to heal ?
Can you exercise with it ? I got it 2 weeks ago walking and Ive been limping ever since. Have a foot doc appointment but not for a week or so.

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I had pain in my heal before that sounds somewhat similar. I limped too. For awhile I wore something in my shoes but it just went a way after a while.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It's Plantar Fasciitis,
    Latin, GAH!

Here's a quick link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508
    Good luck.
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    plantar fasciitis.

I dont think I spelled it right either.

I know its probably worse first thing in the morning.
    Dont remember the treatment for it, but I think running is out till its healed.
    Not that youd want to anyway.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    you mean...fasciitis

fastidious means to be very attentive

try icing your heel to reduce swelling, stretching you calves and foot arch muscles..... and don't do any running. You can probably get away with low impact things like stationary bike though. Hope it gets better soon!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It can be healed. I have had it for 18 months now. for the second time. proper streatches, inserts, heal cups, good supportive footwear, icing will all help.

Bone spirs are the build up of calcium in the foot you feel through the heal pad. it could also be the taring of the tendons from the heal. Each step you take streaches the arch and agrivates the injury.

I'm loaded up on asprin right now.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    -stretch your calves daily
    -roll your foot around on a golf ball or frozen tennis ball several times per day.
    -sit in the hurdlers stretch, and, using a towel around the ball of your foot, pull back on the towel so your toes are coming back towards you.

go to youtube and search stretching videos for "plantars fasciitis"
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Time is about all that works. Try taking Advil before going to bed - it helps with the inflammation. Icing is good too. And stretching your foot and calves is important. Also try rolling your foot on a tennis ball while sitting down. Exercise makes it feel better for a while, just make sure you are wearing really supportive shoes. Being barefoot just makes it worse. Good luck. I know how much it hurts!
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Never had it but worked most people go to Physical Therapy for it. I worked in PT and saw a lot of those come through. Main this is not to do anything (ie exercise) until you get it checked out by a licensed physician.
  • NanaJane53
    NanaJane53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a medical professional and I'll do my best to give you help. The pain is because of inflamation of the ligaments tightening that connect to your achiles tendon. You can continue to exercise, but you must be very aware of the pain level. If the pain increased during exercise, you should slow down until it can be managed.

Alternating heat and ice and using steroid cream on a daily basis will help some.. but not a lot. The best help is using a ball and massaging your instep several times a day for several minutes at a time. You need to invest in a good orthotic for your shoes to give instep support. Do not go barefoot and do not use shoes without support. High heels are a no no until the pain is completely gone.

Many patients have experienced relief using the "shape-ups" style shoe. This gives excellent arch support.

Hope this helps! (PS - my husband had this and it took several months to resolve)
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had this for a few months and it was awful. i bought some of those dr scholls cushioned inserts and only wore my good running shoes all the time and it went away. Not fun at all but if you take care of it, it will go away. I also used my shower head on the massage setting and ran it over the sore parts of my foot for a bit. that seemed to ease the pain for awhile as well. I hope it feels better soon.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    -roll your foot around on a golf ball or frozen tennis ball several times per day.
    -sit in the hurdlers stretch, and, using a towel around the ball of your foot, pull back on the towel so your toes are coming back towards you.

My podiatrist had me do the above, plus have custom made orthotics. Also when you sleep at night try not to sleep so your toes are pointed, or the bad foot anyway.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I've had this before

The only thing that really worked for me were insoles and a little boot I wear at night. Has cleared it 100%

However you are best going to a physio to see if it is actually PF, and not something esle first. You'll get loads of different solutions/opinions on here, but you should see a pro about it
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options

My podiatrist had me do the above, plus have custom made orthotics. Also when you sleep at night try not to sleep so your toes are pointed, or the bad foot anyway.
    Ditto the ball feels really good on it i ended up with a cortisone injection too so much pain in the morning feel lke an old lady hobbling down the hall way..lol
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I got plantar fasciitis last summer. Between being overweight, working on hard concrete floors all day standing, and playing tennis 3 times a week. It never subsided until I finally went to Walmart and tried Dr Scholl's thing, got insert, immediately fixed issue. By the next day I felt 100% fine, best $50 ever. I played tennis and worked out through it, but I also play through pain a lot. I don't know if it is recommended to do so though, logically it is an injury that can be further injured by doing this. There are also stretches(towel stretches) you can do to help.
  • SandysNewLife
    SandysNewLife Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ty all ! I have bought shoe inserts and today im wearing my custom orthodic I had made back in "97. Still fits good . Just in the one sore foot. I work standing all the time. I made an MD apt too.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Freeze a bottle of water and roll your foot back and forth over it.
    Using a step hang your heels off the step stretch through the calf.
    I had shin splints and plantar for 2 years and this is all I could do to relieve the pain, turns out I needed orthodics in my shoes I occasionally get flare ups but usually icing the area gets rid of it.

Good luck and I wish u a speedy recovery.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    My buddy had it so bad that he had to have three foot surgeries....I hope yours isnt that serious :(
  • emm267
    emm267 Posts: 1
    Options
    Switch up the shoes you are wearing every day. :smile:
  • TribalFae
    TribalFae Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I might have this as well. Mine is located on what I have seen as called the bursa of my heel. Is this the same or something else? Also, how did you get those cute weight tickers? I'm new :)

Thanks!!