Can I drown?

Options
Greetings everyone !
I'm joining a swimming class for beginners.. It'll be 10 of us (mostly mommies) with 1 instructor. I'm actually terrified of the water and have a fear of drowning (not to mention having to appear in my wetsuit!!) My question is do you guys think it's a safe enough environment with only 1 instructor and all the rest of us are beginners..should I be needing floaties as well? or that'll just make me look silly?
thanx !

Replies

• Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Good on your for facing your fears!

You'll be absolutely fine - the instructor will have all of the safety protocols in place. They do this for a job, they know exactly what to do. And do you know, you'll probably find it less horrendous than you imagine - I was in a similar situation to you about six years ago, was very scared of water and didn't know how to swim so went to lessons. And it was absolutely fine! It was good, in fact. I still literally go backwards when I do breaststroke (even the instructor couldn't figure out why!) but I'm perfectly confident in the water now. You'll do fantastically!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Actually the extra weight will help you float.
    The instructor will be fine s/he will keep control of the situation.
    There will be other life savers around too if it's anything like an Australian swim centre.
    There will probably be floatation aids there anyway.

try to relax and enjoy it.
  • Indolent
    Indolent Posts: 12
    Options
    One of the best things I ever did was learning to swim - and I learned as a 40 year old!

I'm sure you'll be fine in your group but if you ever feel like you are not getting the attention/tuition you need you can always arrange a class with a swimming teacher on your own.

I didn't really like the group learning, but some people like it and enjoy the company of others.

Good luck!
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for your support! At least i know others have gone through and conquered this same fear!

Hope i'll do as well.:flowerforyou:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Well done. You're braver than I. I can't swim :blushing:
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking this step :)

I was a swim instructor for several years in my teens, often doing a class of 6 or 7 children under the age of 8 with one instructor and no one drowned :) It may seem scary at first but trust me - lifeguards/instructors have eyes on ALL sides of their heads - it's part of the training to be able to do it (at least, in North America). Worst case scenario if something did get wrong, your instructor should be trained to react within 30 seconds, regardless of headcount in the class :) Good luck with your lessons, I'm confident that you will do wonderfully!
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If you feel yourself sinking a little, hold your breath and stick your legs out in front of you, stay that way until you calm down. I'm an advanced swimmer (used to compete in my younger days) and still do that to this day.

Good on you getting out there, a fear is a fear is a fear, well done you for facing yours :)

Edit: if you're beginners you should be around the shallow end anyway, stay around chest height and you'll be fine!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good for you....That's a big step! And you will be fine....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    First off... good for you!!! :drinker:

But other than the areas for diving, I don't think the water in most pools is that deep. I haven't been in a public pool since high school (and I tried to avoid it then!) but I think it was mostly 4' water, so you could easily stand.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Good on you for trying swimming. If you're worried, try and stay in the bit of the pool where you can stand up while you find your feet (or fins..).

Instructors are trained to take care of you, but it might be a good idea to let him/her know how nervous you are when you go, and they'll be able to give you some extra help/attention if you need it.

It shouldn't take too long for you to get into it at all, and then you'll realise that it's an excellent form of exercise!
  • LaurenApril2
    LaurenApril2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is a great thing to do! I just started swimming again recently. I do laps, front crawl one direction, backstroke coming back to rest and I love it. It is taking weight off, building my fitness level and reducing my stress. Just take your time and don't push yourself, you'll get it.
  • SgtLRob87
    SgtLRob87 Posts: 11
    Options
    Ello- I would just let the teacher know about your concerns- they have those tube things, "water weights" they look like weights but they are floats and kick boards that wouldn't be embarassing. Hey its a good time to work on your swimming skills too! Dont be embarassed! Swimming is a great exercise too! Good luck