Exercise Free Days

Options
2»

Replies

• islaybower
    islaybower Posts: 57
    Options
    My kids won't let me have a day without even a stroll (I think we'd all go a little crazy), but I ensure I have at least one day a week where I am not doing any formal workout - running or Insanity, at the minute. Sometimes I end up having two days, but as I fit in two workouts three days a week and one workout the other two/three days, I don't really mind. I miss the earned calories though!

I find my cardio and strength are So much better the first day back after a rest day, so I really believe in the whole theory of giving your body time to recover and repair every few days.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have light days, where I may just hoop dance or take a nice walk, but I don't really have a "do nothing completely" day because it reminds me of being injured.. and subsequently depresses me.
  • janny5805
    janny5805 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I decided the weekend is for me to chill and do what I want and so do not go to the gym at all. I think I work hard 5 days a week in the gym and at work and take my time out at the weekend. Do try to stick to my calorie though but if I dont and go over then so be it. If you acrted like a robot and didnt have time out or be able to enjoy a nice chinese or indian once in a while would be sooooo much easier to give up.
    Enjoy 1 or two rest days a week and you will feel so much better for it. :happy:
  • joeq722
    joeq722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think there is a mental aspect to consider which may outweigh the physical.
    Not having a break in the wall, preferably a planned one, prefereably two may not be the best idea.

Call them what you will: rests, vacation, time away, etc... is a time tested way of keeping the mind and body fresh and letting both recharge.
    if it makesyou feel better you could make your rest day a stricter calorie day so that you dont feel its a day wasted, though it is far from wasted its borderline essential in my opinion.
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I have a couple of rest days a week - where they lie depends on my schedule. I don't feel bad if I take a rest day - the body needs 'em anyway - and it's got to fit in with my lifestyle otherwise everything will come crashing down. I've actually just gone three days without exercise because of work - have my weekend workouts all planned and will kick-start it all again!

I bloody refuse to be a slave to exercise. Exercise is meant to make me feel better, if it's a source of stress and obligation then I'm doing something wrong!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have exercise free days? If so, how many. By exercise free, I mean absolutely nothing, not even a light stroll. Ive smashed it out at the gym last three days and would love a rest day tmro but I feel guilty. My plan was to have an exercise free day every 4th day.....but even thinking about it I feel bad.

If your body tells you that you need a break every 4th day then take a break. I would recommend planning breaks based on how you feel, not by plan. Plan-out an exercise schedule for 7 days and figure out what days are most important to your goals. Make sure you hit those and then the others you make sure to hit just as hard but if you're body is like "hold-up I need a break" then miss one of those workouts.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Nope. I work out 7 days a week. If I don't work out, I feel defeated, fat, and am just not in a good mood if I miss a day.

I so know what you mean! I had to go without the gym this week..and I am not feeling so great at this point. But next week I will start hitting the gym again.