Eating Out Tonight

Options
cdpm
cdpm Posts: 297 Member
My boyfriend and I have been invited out tonight for a meal with friends. We are both trying to eat well, but we are going to an Italian restaurant and alarm bells started ringing in my ears as everything will be white carbs.
I don't mind a bit of an indulge, especially as I've planned in a high burn workout this morning, but I don't want to go too crazy.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what we should eat?

Replies

• bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    I would stick to tomato-based pasta dishes, as they'll be lower in calories and fat than the creamy ones. Try to avoid the bread if possible. But enjoy! I love Italian food!
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i rarely eat out so if im gonna go out and eat i dont worry about any cals, i eat wat i want like im gonna do on saturday as its my birthday. u have to live a little, u can make up for it and be good on the other days, its just one day :smile:
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people are so obsessed about how unhealthy is Italian diet..I'm not mad at you, it's just that I always read it..
    Well I'm sure you'll find some healthy food like a salad or grilled meat/fish with vegetables just ask for no dressing and avoid fried foods..you don't have to eat white carbs, there should be other options too!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    2 approaches:

Have whatever you want by building into your cals during the day and maybe a bit from the day before (my usually approach)

or

Minimize damage whilst out. For this I'd suggest that if you can get hold of the menu online before hand. I tend to look for dishes that are a simple slab of protein (Fish, Steak, Chicken) with minimal sides. so Steak and Salad or Fish and Roasted Vegetables works well. Don't be afraid of asking the restaurant to tweak dishes. So asking for a meal with no cheese or no sauce is often possible and acceptable.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love having fish at Italians! Yummy!

:flowerforyou:
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :-)
    I managed to burn over 700 cals this morning and will eat a small lunch so I can eat well later. I find Italian food when eating out hard as all my favourites, the bread and cheese on the menu just scream ' EAT ME - eat me in high quantities!' and I find it hard to not give into the temptation, but asking for something without the cheese sounds like a good idea.
  • Mindywv2003
    Mindywv2003 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am eating out late aftenoon/early evening on a date with hubby at Casey's ... when I go (since I don't eat seafood) I order my favorite hamburger with all the trimmings except sauce and no bun (low carb diet) and side salad
    very filling and have my lg. water with 2 lemons, add 2 splenda packets and I have lemonaide :tongue:
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    well enjoy yourself!!!

once you get there and see the menu you will know what to do, have a search on here for similar food to see the cals,

if in doubt have chicken salad or something similar, as said before, avoid the sauces dressings and fried foods, listen to you body to know when you are full and great job on the workout

nothing on the menu can be enough to ruin your week if you are sensible, obviously a huge double cheese burger with fries and onion rings followed by a sharing desert to yourself wont help haha,

have a jug of ice water for the table, to sip so your not famished whilst waiting

enjoy!!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I usually have some kind of fish at Italians. Some places like Bella Italia and Zizzi's have under 600 calorie options marked on their menu
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you do this often.
    Enjoy yourself, log it, and hit the bricks again tomorrow.
    Have a great time.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Italian is my fav.

The Italians have the best diet in the world. largley because they eat so much fresh fish. Stick with a tomato based pasta or fish dish.

Grilled halibut with capers and vegetables is a winner
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I looove Applebees because they have all the calories on the menu. The sizzling Asian shrimp is great and like 480 cals I think. Other restaurants, I try to cut out the starch. I will order 2 green vegetables instead. No bread either. ;)

If your eating Chinese, Lomein or chowmein are my go-to dishes. Its lower in cals then you would think. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been invited out tonight for a meal with friends. We are both trying to eat well, but we are going to an Italian restaurant and alarm bells started ringing in my ears as everything will be white carbs.
    I don't mind a bit of an indulge, especially as I've planned in a high burn workout this morning, but I don't want to go too crazy.
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what we should eat?

A hearty bowl of Pasta Fagioli, a honkin' huge salad with an olive oil/vinegar herby dressing (homemade in house if they do), you could easily enjoy a side of homemade meatballs with it.

Sausage Rustica is a good dish - ask if they can cut the portion of pasta in half and replace it with steamed broccoli - my husband does that alot and loves the veggie boost!

Linguini w/Clam Sauce

I dont know what food-style you are following, but ordering out can actually alot easier than you think... and most restaurants today are more than willing to accomodate any dietary restriction (They ALL SHOULD be in my opinion)
  • kimboyle92
    kimboyle92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    consider it your reward splurge for doing so well this week ... we all deserve a splurge now and then as long as we don't go crazy with it ... you worked out this morning and ate well at lunch for it so reward yourself!