Making pizza at home what is the best crust?

Options
2»

Replies

• msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi, Hope you have found some great ideas.
    Here is my Healthy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough recipe:
    1/2 tsp active dry yeast
    1 & 3/4 Cups Warm Water (115 degrees Fahrenheit)
    1/2 tsp sugar (for the yeast)
    4 Cups Stone ground whole wheat flour (King Arthur is the best brand)
    3 Tbs Light Olive Oil
    in a bowl/dish, (i use a 2 cup glass measure cup) put 1 & 3/4 Cups Warm Water (115 degrees Fahrenheit), add the yeast and the sugar, gently stir with a butter knife. Let mixture sit at room temperature, until really frothy (at least 15 minutes).
    Next, sift the flour and salt into a Large bowl. make a well in the center, and pour in the yeast water and 2 TBS of the olive oil (you may need the last Tbs of olive oil if your dough is too tough). Kneed well until springy (you may want to flour your hands and the work table/counter). Place the dough in a Large floured bowl, cover with a damp towel, and place in a warm area. (i put mine in the cold oven or microwave oven) Let the dough rise for 1 & 1/2 hours. Punch the Dough down and separate into 4 balls. Place back into the bowl and cover again for 1 & 1/2 hours to rise again. you can let the dough rise overnight or all day, if you don't have time. Preheat oven to 425 Degrees Fahrenheit. Brush baking sheet with olive oil (light tasting olive oil).
    Take one ball and knead for two minutes, then roll out into 10 inch round and place on baking sheet. Brush with Olive Oil, especially the edges, (or low fat butter spray). Bake about 15 minutes. I use a Baking Stone for best results (place the stone in oven before turning oven on). you can freeze the other dough balls, wrap in plastic wrap twice, then foil, then in freezer bags.
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I are hooked on mini bagel pizzas. Just split them, add sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni or sausage, and a little more cheese on top and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. They are really soft and cheesy. :smile:
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    I use "Ole" Tomato Basil tortilla wraps. Very good at least to me only 68 calories each!

I will have to try that, I usually use Lavash Flat bread 100 calories.
    :drinker:
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Crust:
    1 package active dry yeast
    1 cup warm water (110 degree)
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3 1/2 cups bread flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 large egg yolk

Try this crust....ive made homemade pizza for my kids birthday parties for years (they are grown now)....everyone loves this pizza crust....they best way to cook it is on a stone at 500 degrees for about 7-8 minutes :) Make sure your yeast proofs :)
    San :)
  • ChefTamiCinNC
    ChefTamiCinNC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We love homemade pizza and generally make one every Friday night. All the recipe suggestions look great and I can't wait to try some of them. We usually use Pillsbury and they have a couple different kinds. I see everyone talking about using a stone. I sell Pampered Chef and have been using stoneware (for everything) since the early 90's! The results you get from baking on a stone just can't be beat. For me the crust has to be perfect for the rest to taste good! I won't advertise here but friend request me if you would like some more information on pizza stones. I have a web page and you can look at the catalog online and actually order from there and have it delivered right to your door. We are making pizzas tonight and I will post pictures later. Don't forget you can make breakfast pizza, fruit pizza or whatever you desire! Happy Friday everyone! Post your pizza pictures this weekend!
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We love homemade pizza and generally make one every Friday night. All the recipe suggestions look great and I can't wait to try some of them. We usually use Pillsbury and they have a couple different kinds. I see everyone talking about using a stone. I sell Pampered Chef and have been using stoneware (for everything) since the early 90's! The results you get from baking on a stone just can't be beat. For me the crust has to be perfect for the rest to taste good! I won't advertise here but friend request me if you would like some more information on pizza stones. I have a web page and you can look at the catalog online and actually order from there and have it delivered right to your door. We are making pizzas tonight and I will post pictures later. Don't forget you can make breakfast pizza, fruit pizza or whatever you desire! Happy Friday everyone! Post your pizza pictures this weekend!

My pizza stone is Pampered chef and I bought it in 1996! Actually all my bake wear is Pampered Chef stones! They give a crust that no other bake ware can come close too! My jelly roll pan is black I use it so much! I know you can't advertise, but I LOVE PC! Most of my kitchen is PC!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use the Chez Panisse pizza dough recipe with a bit of buckwheat flour for flavor.

1.5 tsp active dry yeat
    pinch of sugar
    .25 cup of warm water (110F)
    1.75 cups of all-purpose flour (you can use white whole wheat if you prefer but the result will be tougher)
    .25 buckwheat flour
    3.4 tsp salt
    3 tbl olive oil
    .5 cup water

Combine the yeast water sugar and warm water in a bowl with .25 cup of the buckwheat flour and stir. Let "proof" (bubble) for 10 minutes.
    Add remaining flour, salt, olive oil, and water and mix well with a wooden spoon. Turn out and knead for 10 minutes or put into a stand mixer for 5-7 min pr food processor for 1 min and mix until smooth and elastic.
    Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and turn until coated. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or the fridge (which takes overnight) until doubled in volume.
    Makes 2 9-inch pizzas

Here is the trick: Roll out the room temp dough (it will be quite stretchy) to the size you want and cover with a towel. Let it "rest" 20 min while you get the toppings ready and the dough will soften. Then re-roll as thin as possible and it will not bounce back.

I bought a commercial rectangular stone (not expensive) and kept it in on my oven floor for years. This should be preheated at the highest temp your oven can reach-outside of self-cleaning.

If you do the final rollout on a totally flat cookie sheet with some flour then put the toppings on, it should slide right onto the stone with a quick jerk. You need only a long hamburger flipper to remove it.

This will be the thinnest and chewiest crust ever! Remember that if you use red sauce the edges will be bigger or smaller depending on how close to the edge you go with the sauce and toppings.
  • ChefTamiCinNC
    ChefTamiCinNC Posts: 39 Member
    Options

My pizza stone is Pampered chef and I bought it in 1996! Actually all my bake wear is Pampered Chef stones! They give a crust that no other bake ware can come close too! My jelly roll pan is black I use it so much! I know you can't advertise, but I LOVE PC! Most of my kitchen is PC!

Love to hear that! The stones are great for cooking everything! I would not know how to cook without them! I even take them on vacation!
  • Tontus94
    Tontus94 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've used this recipe for years now and it always turns out great:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jays-signature-pizza-crust/

The brown sugar really makes a difference and I often put 1 tsp.
    Make sure you're kneading the dough enough.

Also, I like to lightly oil the pizza pan and dust it with cornmeal - guaranteed crispy crust.

Good Luck!:smile:

This is the recipe I use too! I triple the recipe and divide into thirds. Then make two pizzas on my metal baking sheets and the third I make into cinnamon rolls. Whole family LOVES both the pizza and cinnamon rolls!!!