Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

6 yr olds

MandiFruitt
MandiFruitt Posts: 14
edited September 19 in Motivation and Support
So I took my shower this morning and I was in the bathroom standing in my bra and panties... And My 6 yr old came in wanting to chit chat... And I told him he needed to leave of course but if you've ever had a head strong 6 yr old Im sure you can understand it was like talking to a brick wall... Anyways.... He tells me Mommy sometimes girls walk around there house like that... I said well not this mommy and his reply was because your FAT.... I just looked at him I didnt know what to say.... I know where he is learnin it... But its a little hard to deal with when your 6 yr old even thinks your fat....:sad:

Replies

• Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Kids are brutally honest. :grumble:

He loves his mommy and you'll relish the "Mommy's so pretty" compliments you'll receive when you hit your goal weight. :flowerforyou:
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    I had a similar experience. Last Thanksgiving...so i was already pigg'n out, was eating my pumpkin pie and out of left field he said you are really fat. I teared up, but finished my pie. That was 35lbs ago...don't let it stress you...just look forward to those future commets...like Mom, your so skinny!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    I have 2 6 yr olds... but the funny thing happened to my hubby. Our one six year old is delayed a bit so anyway he can't really stand to be not in a room with someone, so he still pops in on me in the bathroom and such... one day hubby was in there, just got out of the shower and was bending over to dry his feet with his butt facing the door and our son comes in, looks him up and down, and says, "WOW. Now that's a BIG daddy!" I thought it was hilarious...

On the serious side, my kids are NOT allowed to make comments on someone's weight, color of skin, intelligence, etc. Whether they get it in school or not, they are NOT allowed to call names at home. I would talk to your son about hurting other people's feelings, he's old enough to understand that words hurt and he needs to start being aware of it. Just my opinion. ETA Ok I read your profile and I still think its appropriate to teach him about words and feelings...
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    He loves you like all little boys do no matter what you look like. Just tell yourself and him "NOT FOR MUCH LONGER!!!!" :flowerforyou:
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    When my son was about 5 he hugged my mother and said "MawMaw, you're so fluffy!" :laugh: Lol! You just have to laugh it off and keep moving. You will get a good laugh about it once you are at your goal weight! Stay strong! :wink:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    OH...my son has said something kinda of like this before :laugh: I laughed it off because it was funny....He told me that my "leg was kinda fat a little bit" :laugh: I think he added the "little bit" to soften the blow :laugh:
    Kids are honest. I would rather mine be that way....although I explained to him that he should never tell someone that they are fat because it could hurt their feelings...Don't want someone to get hurt over his honesty... But with me, it didn't hurt. I KNOW that I am "FAT" and need to lose the weight. He was just making an observation. This is the age where they are learning about social things and its a good time to talk to him about what is and what is not socially exceptable to say...:happy:
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    I was at the doctor with my father ( I take care of him) and I had my six year old daughter with me. She grabbed ahold of my stomach fat and said, "Mommy you have this because you eat too much!"

I was sooo embarrassed!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I have a 9 yr old and anytime I say anything about needing to lose weight or being fat he always says you are not fat you are pretty. He is so sweet. Since I have been losing weight he notices everything. One morning I was bringing him to school and he looks over at me and says Mom look how skinny your legs are getting or he will hug me and say you see you aren't fat my arms go all the way around you.

Kids are kids they don't mean any harm when they say things. They are just being honest like we have taught them to be. Now if he would've said it in a mean name calling way that is different.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Kids will always state the obvious. My daughter knows that I don't like to show my tummy off and she knows why. While I have a pretty flat tummy...I also have what she lovingly refers to as "zebra stripes" that cover my entire stomach. All you can do is teach them about what is appropriate to say to others and what is acceptable at home. Explain how feelings can get hurt and how to 'fix' the situation with an apology and a hug. I realize your situation is a little different but manners are easily taught. My cousin has Downs Syndrome and he knows what is appropriate and what is not (he's 34 with the mind of a 6 year old). It's all in how children are taught.
  • Flyright
    Flyright Posts: 36
    i love the "zebra stripes"!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    When my oldest DD was about 5 my sister was over and she was sitting on the couch watching one of the Denise Austin videos I use to use. My DD told her Aunty it you want it to work you have to do the exercises not watch it.
This discussion has been closed.