Plateau Woe

Options
I've been at a plateau for about 3 months. I am currently at 1200 cals a day (not Net, mind you), and am a little confused about what people have said about mixing it up--do i increase intake for a day or two, then go back to 1200? Going below 1200 doesn't seem wise.

I know what I need to do: i need to rev up my workouts, but while I am doing Tracy Anderson Continuity, I am not really that into her dance cardio workout. I would like a low impact workout-something not so jarring on the bones, but one that can really get my heart going. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Search zig zag calorie counting in the forums....I have a link somewhere too let me look
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    It always helps me to have a cheat day it shocks my body. It works for me.
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    This is what I personally found helped to break my plateau: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    It always helps me to have a cheat day it shocks my body. It works for me.

yes the shock helped me lose 3 lbs in one week and i ate like everything wrong lol
  • shel1103
    shel1103 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat Sugarplum - I have been logging everything for a couple of weeks and trying to actually lose this weight for over a month now. I would think just by drastically reducing my calories to 1200, that I would have dropped weight, but it is refusing to budge and I keep bouncing up and down the same 3 or 4 pounds. I want to scream!!!! If anyone has some mind-blowing advice, I will take it.
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    Even though most people won't take this advice because it's a scary concept, your body is most likely in starvation mode and holding onto any calories it can. You probably need to raise your calories to where you're NETTING at least your BMR. If you're not netting 1200, then you're not consuming 1200 cals/day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then resume diet.
    Try a better approach to calories if the MFP way isnt working for you.
    1200 cals isnt for everyone and you just proved that.

Check my profile for a link and info.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    1200 is too low!!! You need to up those calories. Google other calculators to determine your daily calorie goal. Try fat2fitradio.com and check out the group here, Eat More to Weigh Less. You are torturing yourself for no reason. I used to eat at 1200, didn't lose a thing the. Then I raised it too 1500, and the weight started dropping. It stalled again, and two weeks ago I started eating 1700 calories a day and lost two pounds. I am 5'2" btw.
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    Even though most people won't take this advice because it's a scary concept, your body is most likely in starvation mode and holding onto any calories it can. You probably need to raise your calories to where you're NETTING at least your BMR. If you're not netting 1200, then you're not consuming 1200 cals/day.

^^This^^
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then resume diet.
    Try a better approach to calories if the MFP way isnt working for you.
    1200 cals isnt for everyone and you just proved that.

Check my profile for a link and info.

^^^ yeah that.
  • krissers9
    krissers9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My weight hasn't moved in about a month but I have gone from a size 6 to a 2/4. I've decided the scale is a good gauge and confidence booster in the beginning, but the results are what I care most about. Don't let weight determine how you feel. Look for the positive changes in your body :)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Most of my weight loss occurred with many plateaus. I didn't increase my calories. Just kept plugging away and eventually 2-3 pounds would drop. I always stayed around 1200 calories except the weekends I had some wine which put me over. However I didn't eat much on the weekends and made sure I worked out before the wine. It seemed to me that my weight loss had stalled until I ramped up the cardio. I pushed harder and the weight loss started to fall off. I do Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's and added jumping and running to the workout. I kept it medium impact. Just keep doing what you are doing. It works. If I can lose, anybody can. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    I was just listening to a podcast at fat2fitradio.com last night on how to beat weight loss lulls. They had some pretty good advice so you should go check it out. They said eating too little period will cause your body to rebel and hold onto weight, but they also said even eating correctly, after a while your body will still rebel because it realizes it is losing weight and goes into preservation mode. They said NEVER eat less trying to defeat these periods because it will only make it worse. Instead, eat MORE for a few days to convince your body everything is ok again so your metabolism will go back to normal. This is why so many dieting plans incorporate cheat days.

I notice that an overwhelming majority of people who complain they aren't losing weight say they are eating 1200 calories a day. That should tell you something about how bad eating that little is for you.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    I notice that an overwhelming majority of people who complain they aren't losing weight say they are eating 1200 calories a day. That should tell you something about how bad eating that little is for you.

Preach it !!!:flowerforyou:
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! Just to be clear--my net calorie goals were 1200, but I generally consumed more to make up for exercise, etc.

I appreciate your feedback, and really love the fact that I everyone is so into responding and giving input! Thank you!
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    1200 is too low!!! You need to up those calories. Google other calculators to determine your daily calorie goal. Try fat2fitradio.com and check out the group here, Eat More to Weigh Less. You are torturing yourself for no reason. I used to eat at 1200, didn't lose a thing the. Then I raised it too 1500, and the weight started dropping. It stalled again, and two weeks ago I started eating 1700 calories a day and lost two pounds. I am 5'2" btw.

As of this morning, I've lost another pound!
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Now that I have uppded the net calories, I fear I will start to gain.

Thanks for everyone's advise and input. This is mind boggling (for me), but I have learned a lot in just one week. Thank you!

SJ