Wedding Dress Help

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
My wedding is at the end of September. I am taking my dress to my Grandma tonight to get started on the alterations. I have lost 5 pounds in the past 3 months and am confident that I will be able to lose another 5 before the wedding. So what should I do? I don't want my dress to be too big come September, but I need to give my Grandma plenty of time to work on the alterations...

Replies

• mbalance
    mbalance Posts: 6
    Options
    I had this dilema when I got married. I made my own dress so I really didn't have time to do any alterations. I would suggest you fit the dress to one size smaller than you are now and ask gramdma to replace the zipper with corset like lace up ribbon (I used a nice white satin ribbon). That way if you do loose another 5 pounds you can tighten it up and if you don't you can loosen it (no pressure). Just make sure the flap is big enough to provide good coverage. Hope that helps.
  • hdjohnson
    hdjohnson Posts: 35
    Options
    I too would ALWAYS reccommend a corset-like lace up back to a dress. It will fit you nicely no matter what happens with your weight (let's hope it's a loss)!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    http://www.maggiesottero.com/dress.aspx?page=5&style=A3240

I can't figure out how to put a picture here, but this is a link to my wedding dress.... LOL, there is nowhere for a corsette. It will just need taken in on the sides like, around the rib cage so I guess I will just have Gma make it a little smaller than I am now.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I can't figure out how to put a picture here, but this is a link to my wedding dress.... LOL, there is nowhere for a corsette. It will just need taken in on the sides like, around the rib cage so I guess I will just have Gma make it a little smaller than I am now.

That is a beautiful gown!!!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice but your dress is BEAUTIFUL!!! :flowerforyou:
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options

gown.jpg

gown2.jpg
  • busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    it's beautiful!! Congrats. :flowerforyou: I'd also have her take it in a little more than what you are.
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I know this isn't a perfect solutions...But it works great in a pinch.....Make sure your maid of honor packs some safety pins : ) I was in my brother's wedding last year and one of the bridesmaids had lost a few pounds between getting her dress altered and the wedding--although she had had no intention of losing any weight. Since she didn't realize she had lost weight, she didn't try the dress on until we were at the site and it was lose in all the wrong places. Needless to say, the wedding coordinator had a few safety pins, so I channeled a few years of costuming work, flipped the dress inside out, and placed a few safety pins along the side seams so they hugged her body. Absolutely no one could tell her dress had been safety pinned except for the bridal party....... Like I said, not a perfect solution, but might be a better option than trying the dress on a few days before the wedding to discover it's a little too tight!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Beautiful dress!!!:love::love:
    I'd show the dress to Grandma now and let her know that you're still losing weight and don't want her to make the final alterations until the week of the wedding or so...... I had to do last minute alterations on my sister's wedding dress the day before the wedding..... amazing how a few pounds can disappear the last few stressful weeks before a wedding:laugh: :laugh:
  • TNYorker
    TNYorker Posts: 164
    Options

That's a beauuuutiful dress hon! :love: I agree with most of the comments, let's ask grams to make it a size smaller than you are now, if she's absolutely not able to hold off on the final alterations til the week of the wedding. :bigsmile:
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Thanks for the comments on the dress! :bigsmile: :smooched: Cherry, thanks for posting the pictures for me. I took the dress to my Grandma last night and she actually doesnt think she will be able to do the alterations. She is really good at sewing and stuff but she thinks this would be out of her league. So, I am going to take it to a professional this week or next. They should have no problem waiting until closer to the wedding to take it in. MKWOOD - I agree with you! :laugh: I was thinking like... I wonder if I will lose another 5 lbs... and then I pictured myself the last couple of weeks before the wedding and have a feeling a few stressful pounds will be coming off! :laugh:

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. :drinker: