If you have conquered a plateau...

Options
What did you still have left to lose, how long were you in a plateau, and what did you try that did NOT work?

And most importantly, what DID work?

Thanks....:flowerforyou:

Stormie

Replies

• jazziesaj11
    jazziesaj11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    *bump* I'd like to know to! I've been stuck for over a month and upping cals doesn't seem to do much and never does starving at 1200. :P
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    conquering plateau = adding more muscle = periodic caloric surplus
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Well, assuming you mean a weight loss plateau, at some point you'd need to start asking yourself if the number on the scale really matters. I'm sure you know that the same weight can look very different in terms of composition. So I think the StrongLifts program you're doing is a great move.

But yeah, muscle will burn more cals (& fat) so if you can ignore the scale for a while... & I know that's the hard part.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I've tried that, Mary. I don't lose weight eating more. My BMR is 1270, my maintenance is about 1700 sedentary, 1900 including purposeful exercise. I've averaged food intake of 1350 for April and 1375 for March. I averaged 1170 in Jan and Feb and I did lose, but that stopped. I've tried eating 1500 for a month or two, I've tried eating back exercise calories and not eating them back. I've tried upping protein and lowering carbs. I eat at maintenance for a week every 3 months to help maintain metabolic hormones.I obsessively log every bite (yes, I even count my almonds), I use a Fitbit to measure activities. I've taken months off and eaten at maintenance (or slightly above). I've been at this for 3 years, guys. I've lost 40 pounds, but I have FAT on my body that needs to go away. I was at this same point last September...for months. I gave up for a while. Now again, have lost no pounds since Feb 12 (and that was due to having the friggin flu).

@ Tharrop - I like doing 5x5 and am making strength gains, BUT since starting it, I have not seen a single inch lost (or pound)...in fact, I gained an inch in waist, hips, and ribcage :sad: . This is not the goal yanno, to make my clothes fit worse!!:noway:

I don't mean to complain or whine. I seriously don't understand the issue, I always go around telling people "it's math", so stick to it and you will lose, but danggggggggggggg...........I think 3 years counts as sticking to it, and I'm not losing.

Doctor is next stop probably.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    I've tried that, Mary. I don't lose weight eating more. My BMR is 1270, my maintenance is about 1700 sedentary, 1900 including purposeful exercise. I've averaged food intake of 1350 for April and 1375 for March. I averaged 1170 in Jan and Feb and I did lose, but that stopped. I've tried eating 1500 for a month or two, I've tried eating back exercise calories and not eating them back. I've tried upping protein and lowering carbs. I eat at maintenance for a week every 3 months to help maintain metabolic hormones.I obsessively log every bite (yes, I even count my almonds), I use a Fitbit to measure activities. I've taken months off and eaten at maintenance (or slightly above). I've been at this for 3 years, guys. I've lost 40 pounds, but I have FAT on my body that needs to go away. I was at this same point last September...for months. I gave up for a while. Now again, have lost no pounds since Feb 12 (and that was due to having the friggin flu).

@ Tharrop - I like doing 5x5 and am making strength gains, BUT since starting it, I have not seen a single inch lost (or pound)...in fact, I gained an inch in waist, hips, and ribcage :sad: . This is not the goal yanno, to make my clothes fit worse!!:noway:

I don't mean to complain or whine. I seriously don't understand the issue, I always go around telling people "it's math", so stick to it and you will lose, but danggggggggggggg...........I think 3 years counts as sticking to it, and I'm not losing.

Doctor is next stop probably.
    dont do 5x5.. try bodybuilding routines
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    5x5 isn't a bodybuilding routine? Squats, Bench Presses, Rows, Deadlifts, and OHL's? The best compound lifts around!!

I don't do pink dumbbells.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm just like you Stormie