Plank exercise question

Options
slieber
slieber Posts: 765 Member
I have pretty strong abs. When I do plank, I don't feel it so much in the stomach but I DO have extreme pain in my shoulders and across the upper back, which keeps me from staying up longer. I can just barely manage a minute before I have to stop because of upper back pain.

What is the correct position and will this pain ever ease? Should I tough it out and see what happens?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• JLEC77
    JLEC77 Posts: 9
    Options
    Are you making sure you're a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles? If not, that could be the source of your pain...
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    for sure, correct position is everything. if your not doing any exercise correctly you'll be in major pain. If you can do a proper push-up i.e. keeping your back straight, thats how your body should be in a plank position. That is also another form of plank, so maybe try that.

Hope that helps
  • slieber
    Options
    Possibly. I can do a push up with no problem in the back, but plank is painful across the upper back and shoulders.

I spoke to one of the trainers at LA Fitness today to ask about this, and he recommended I get a bone density test since doing the plank shouldn't hurt in that area. I am in an age range that COULD signify this, but with all my working out that I've been doing over the year, could this really be the issue?

Is there a photo anywhere of how to position the arms, et. al. to make sure I'm doing it right?

Thanks again!
    S.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    planks could mess up your spine, i would do some googling for the correc position
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    core-abdominal-and-lower-back-exercises-23.jpg
  • slieber
    Options
    That's what I'm going to try - the straight arm plank for now. Thanks!