Baked Monte Cristo Sandwiches (Kraft Recipe)

Options
bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
Baked Monte Cristo Sandwich

This classic sandwich is still delicious without frying, and has 250 calories.

time prep: 10 min
total: 21 min

What You Need:
8 slices 100% whole wheat bread
4 KRAFT 2% Milk Singles
24 slices OSCAR MAYER Deli Fresh Smoked Ham
2 egg whites
1/2 cup fat-free milk

Make it:
HEAT oven to 450°F.

FILL bread slices with 2% Milk Singles and ham.

BEAT egg whites and milk in shallow dish or pie plate. Dip each sandwich into egg mixture, turning to coat both sides (let bread soak about 5 sec. on each side). Place sandwiches on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.

BAKE 6 min.; turn. Bake 5 min. or until sandwiches are golden brown.

Serving Suggestion
These baked sandwiches are perfect for a crowd since you can bake several at one time. Pair with a cup of soup to round out the meal.

Special Extra
Serve sandwiches with GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard for dipping.

nutritional info per serving
Calories 250
Total fat 6 g
Saturated fat 2.5 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 1250 mg
Carbohydrate 27 g
Dietary fiber 4 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 23 g
Vitamin A 6 %DV
Vitamin C 0 %DV
Calcium 35 %DV
Iron 10 %DV

Replies

• dlongshot7
    dlongshot7 Posts: 79
    Options
    bump
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic!! Can't wait to try it. :drinker: Thanks for posting!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    yummy bump!
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Never thought of doing this. Thanks for posting. They sound delicious!
  • p21usa
    p21usa Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    That sounds amazing! Just wondering if there is a low cal alternative for the cheese because I am not a big fan of processed cheese. I will give it a try, regardless. Thanks!
  • jnbud2002
    jnbud2002 Posts: 216
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump. thanks!
  • KristaPetraitis
    KristaPetraitis Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My husband loves the fried version of these things... Maybe I can get him to try these!
  • JillM135
    JillM135 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for posting! They sound delish! I can't wait to try them!
  • bluiz13
    Options
    i'm using the wonder smart white bread cause that is what i have....it's 100 cals for 2 slices...i am also using my grocery store's sweet ham from the deli and i'm using regular american cheese not 2% but when i added all the parts to my diary for dinner tonight it came out to 245 calories....
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Ok you flung a craving on me! We have a local restaurant here called "Spot of Tea" and they have the best monte cristo sandwiches... that's what I always used to get when I worked downtown.

So now I'll be making this for dinner tonight... topping with confectioner's sugar and using honey mustard as a dipping sauce like they do at the restaurant... I think I'm going to pair it with a tomato bisque, potato, or broccoli/cheese soup and a salad to round it out! YUMMY!

Thanks for posting!
  • Baloo
    Baloo Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks
  • bluiz13
    Options
    yup i'm having mine with tomato basil soup (canned)....
  • brogers916
    brogers916 Posts: 58
    Options
    bump!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking this but isn't this just basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich? Couldn't you just do the same with a sandwich grill? That's what I do. And serve with Tomato Soup. I thought a Monte Cristo had some kind of fruit in it. I could be wrong.
  • missa0208
    missa0208 Posts: 25
    Options
    This sounds soo good. Can't wait to try since I'm a huge sandwich person lol. Thanks for sharing !
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting it!

If you substitute Alpine Lace 25% reduced fat swiss cheese (instead of the Kraft processed cheese), Hatfield Reduced Sodium Tavern Ham (for the Oscar Meyer slices), and a light 100% whole wheat bread (normal 1/2 inch slices, not the thin slices) you can reduce the calories to around 220 per sandwich, and cut the sodium down by more than half to under 600mg per sandwich. Monte Cristo Sandwiches are traditionally made with Swiss cheese anyhow!

If you really want to get traditional but keep it low fat, fry it on a non stick pan or griddle with a little cooking spray instead of baking, then after it's on your plate lightly dust it with a tiny bit of confectioners (10x) sugar which will only add less than 10 calories and less than 2 carbs. The powdered sugar is "traditional" where I grew up, but other parts of the country/world serve it up with fruits, jams, etc. while others serve it with savory condiments like mustard, white sauce, ranch dressing, etc.
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm not knocking this but isn't this just basically a grilled ham and cheese sandwich? Couldn't you just do the same with a sandwich grill? That's what I do. And serve with Tomato Soup. I thought a Monte Cristo had some kind of fruit in it. I could be wrong.

You are correct my dear!!! Usually with strawberry preserves!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Monte Cristo Sandwiches are pretty much a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, but the difference is it's always made on French Toast (the kind that's dipped in an egg mixture). Regionally, they differ as far as how they are served. Some areas serve them with white sauce, mustards and other savory condiments, other areas serve them with powdered sugar, syrup, cinnamon sugar, fruits, etc. It depends on where you live! I've always seen it served in my area with powdered sugar, but have had it overseas with a cheesy white sauce.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The montes ive always had, have ham and turkey in them Then they were fried and dipped in strawberry jam with powdered sugar on top......i miss them. I might have to try this and add the turkey in there. Thanks!