First 5K Tomorrow

I am as ready as i am ever going to be... What are last minute prep tips for the big day? What should I be doing today and tonight to give myself the best shot tomorrow??

Replies

• mmorgan70
    mmorgan70 Posts: 5 Member
    Good luck tomorrow!
  • DallasLeann
    DallasLeann Posts: 44
    I am no expert (my 2nd 5K is tomorrow) but I will make sure to drink plenty of water today and eat my carbs. Other than that, get some sleep and remember to warm-up and stretch before the race. Good luck!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I am as ready as i am ever going to be... What are last minute prep tips for the big day? What should I be doing today and tonight to give myself the best shot tomorrow??

Rest today. Eat a few extra carbs (but don't go insane with it). Extra hydration today. Sleep well.

Tomorrow morning, eat what you would normally eat. Use the foods and tools that you know work for you because you've trained with them. Hydrate well before the run like you would for any training session.

Immediately after the run, refuel with some complex carbs and a little protein. Hydrate again.

Have fun with it.

Good luck, and enjoy.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Drink plenty of water. You don't really need any extra carbs. Just eat what you normally would for dinner and before the race. However, don't eat too much fiber because it could set your intestines in motion.

Lay out your clothes you are going to wear tomorrow and attach your bib and timing chip (if it is a timed race). Don't wear anything new the day of the race.

Stay positive and have fun.
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 363 Member
    Thank you all! i know that i am not going to be able to run the entire thing.. but i know that I will do well! The nerves are just setting in. I have had a lot of people telling me that this is somethign that i CANT do!
  • 987Runner
    987Runner Posts: 209
    I read a great article on Active.com for first time racers. Here's the link: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/9-Race-Day-Tips-for-First-Timers.htm
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Thank you all! i know that i am not going to be able to run the entire thing.. but i know that I will do well! The nerves are just setting in. I have had a lot of people telling me that this is somethign that i CANT do!

Anyone telling you you can't do this is full of ****. The only person you need to listen to is you telling yourself that you CAN do it.

I ran my first 5K in February and have run another 5k and a 10k since. I'm running a 5K tomorrow also. I don't plan on doing anything special. Whatever you normally do before a run is what you should do for your run tomorrow. Race day isn't the day to start trying new things.

Have fun!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    You can and you will do it, screw the haters! Sleep well and drink lots of water, plus everything else mentioned above. Don't worry about running the entire time, take it down to the slowest jog possible or even a walk if you have to. Try and find a comfortable pace and keep your breathing regular. Rock an iPod with some music if that's your thing.

Best of luck, post about how it goes and your experience at a first timer!

/2nd ever 5K tomorrow, running from Zombies!
  • FunkyGranolaTree
    FunkyGranolaTree Posts: 363 Member
    THANK YOU ALL! That is a great article! I am so excited to be proving the haters wrong!!! I am actually meeting up with another MFPer to run with. I just want to get over with the waiting.

I have my clothes planned out and a simple clean dinner for tonight. Focusing on getting my regular gallon of water in today. I ust got the babysitter confirmed (and got my husband to deal with dropping them off so i dont have to worry about that timing tomorrow). I pick up my packet today after work...

I think that i have all of my bases covered...
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    No tips just wanted to wish you good luck!!

Hope you enjoy it tomorrow!! x
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    You will surprise yourself. The atmosphere of a race gets your adrenaline going, and the crowd can really push you to go faster and longer than you thought you could. My first 5k it was cold and raining and it was my longest run ever (I think I had done 3 miles previously), but I ran the whole thing. Now I've done 5 or 6 5ks and it's just fun.
    Don't start out too fast, set a pace you can maintain, even if it feels like people are passing you. And follow your normal morning routine. I usually eat a little something, drink some water and sometimes even coffee. The weather really seems to effect my peformance more than anything I have control over.
    You will be amazing!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    I have had a lot of people telling me that this is something that i CANT do!

Then it's time to prove them wrong! :smile:

5km is a challenging but fun distance. If you can, pick up your race kit today and get your gear laid out for tomorrow. Get lots of sleep tonight, no new foods & easy on the fibre, eat a light breakfast tomorrow morning ( carbs - I like toast & peanut butter).

Try to get to the race a bit early to give yourself time to hit the heads and settle down. Watch your pace going out - it's really easy to get caught up in the excitement & remember to smile when you cross the finish line, I'm sure you'll want the photo as a souvenir of your accomplishment. Have fun!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Everyone has told you what I would say: Hydrate, rest, eat well, lay everything out the night before. Make sure you drink at any and all water stations. Most of all, have FUN and be proud of your accomplishment! Best of luck to you! :drinker: