Good iron supplement for women?

Options
I've been changing up the settings for my food diary to get a feel for how I am doing on various things and added Iron as an option recently. I'm not getting nearly enough iron according to the recommended amount on my food diary. I have to admit I don't eat enough spinach and I don't like Kale. I'm looking for a good iron supplement but don't want to overdo it.

Any suggetions?

Replies

• Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Feosol - Carbonyl 45mg.

I've been fighting anemia & low ferratin levels for a while now, and this has given me the best results (and I've tried a ton). Carbonyl has great absorption and I have had NO adverse stomach reactions, which is huge.

I take a Vit C along with my iron supplement, it helps with absorption.

Oh, and don't take iron within 2 hours of calcium, the calcium won't let the iron get in your system.
  • Jem_Girl
    Jem_Girl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    TBH I just take the Flintstones iron supplement. :laugh: It's almost the amount needed for an adult woman, so I just get the rest from my food. Chewable and gummy supplements are the only ones I can get excited about taking, and the iron tablets looked boring.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    rasins
  • JessieRodinson
    Options
    Spatone, comes in little sachets, tastes like rusty nails but they say to pour it in a glass of OJ and you can't taste it!
  • sandraDallas
    Options
    Thanks everyone - and particularly for the warning about not taking iron supplements with Calcium. I tend to take all my supplements and prescription meds after dinner as it's easier to do them all at one time. However, I'll switch the Calcium to mornings.

For Calcium I take the adult gummy type ones - I too am more likely to take them if they are a "treat." For fish oil I use Coromega squeeze packets (and yes I input them in my food diary here!.) Vitamin D pills are small like little BB's so they are easy to toss down along with an allergy pill in the evenings.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Feosol - Carbonyl 45mg.

I've been fighting anemia & low ferratin levels for a while now, and this has given me the best results (and I've tried a ton). Carbonyl has great absorption and I have had NO adverse stomach reactions, which is huge.

Oh, and don't take iron within 2 hours of calcium, the calcium won't let the iron get in your system.

I take carbonyl iron too! Only iron pills I have found I can tolerate
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Calf liver, pan seared, olive oil.

Or find my recipe I posted here (somewhere).

Once a week.
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I take liver pills from Dr. Rons and I also have Floradix Iron+Herbs.
  • lowbpoint
    lowbpoint Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was told to try slo FE by my doc. supposed to be "gentle" on the system cause of slow release, read : less constipation
  • buttzy237
    buttzy237 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Guys, another really good iron supplement is patte, you dont need much, just before dinner I have this. You get use to the taste!
  • Angie0rtiz
    Angie0rtiz Posts: 45
    Options
    Feosol - Carbonyl 45mg.

When would be a good time to take it? Im big on cheese, and I too am anemic for some time and would like to try. Now you say "NO adverse stomach reactions" so does that mean it doesnt mess with stool either? Ive taken many supplements in the past (anemia=2yrs) and That has been my worst side effect constipation or burping up a REALLY bad taste.