Bikram yoga

Options
Does anyone do Bikram yoga or hot yoga? I've just started, but it's not listed in the exercise section so was wondering how to factor in the calories burned. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Try the calculator here: http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm Make sure that your practice is actually Bikram (it is a specific workout, not just yoga done in a hot/humid studio).
  • nofattrish
    nofattrish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks, just looking at that site now.

It is definitely Bikram, that's all the centre I use treach/practice.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just wear my HRM, because everyone burns calories differently.:smile:
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Try the calculator here: http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm Make sure that your practice is actually Bikram (it is a specific workout, not just yoga done in a hot/humid studio).

those numbers are way off. there's no way i burned 850 calories in a 50 minute class. you definitely sweat alot and i really enjoyed the class, but those numbers are totally inflated.
  • jinlopez
    jinlopez Posts: 38
    Options
    I LOVE BIKRAM!! It kicks my *kitten* every time.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just wear my HRM, because everyone burns calories differently.:smile:

Exactly.. me too!
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I know that HRMs are not accurate for strength training. Would they be accurate for any yoga?
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

those numbers are way off. there's no way i burned 850 calories in a 50 minute class. you definitely sweat alot and i really enjoyed the class, but those numbers are totally inflated.

Bikram should be a fairly strenuous workout, and you should get a pretty decent burn from it. I've seen estimates ranging from 350 - 1000 cals for an hour long session, so it is not outside the realm of possibility.
  • nofattrish
    Options
    I don't have a HRM yet, haven't needed one. I don't want to eat all my exercise calories, it would just be useful to have an idea of what's burned as I was absolutely starving after the session!
  • nofattrish
    Options
    As a guide, I estimated around 750 for a 90 minute session - does that seem conservative enough?
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love Bikram! It depends on your physical fitness, weight, and how hard you are working. You can just go through the motions or really work with the poses and that makes a difference. I'm 5'4'', 168lbs and for a 90 minute class I log it for 550 calories or so. I only eat back half the calories. If someone is very obese than 1000 might be possible but I think 300-800 is more in the ballpark for 90 minutes.
  • nofattrish
    Options
    I'm 5'8, around 185lbs. It was my first class, but I feel that I worked at all the poses. Sure I could have worked harder.... Was aching the next day so demonstrating I had worked.
  • kristi321
    Options
    I'm 5'8, around 185lbs. It was my first class, but I feel that I worked at all the poses. Sure I could have worked harder.... Was aching the next day so demonstrating I had worked.

Then you go on the conservative side and say 400 for 90 minutes. What a great burn! I was hurting terribly at first then my body got used to it. After the first 3 or 4 classes your body really begins to acclimate in the environment.

Enjoy :smile:
  • nofattrish
    Options
    Thanks Kristi!
    I must say, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, whilst at the same time being pushed to the edge of my comfort zone due to the heat. I felt invigorated and signed up to their introductory offer of unlimited sessions for 30 days. I'm 2 days after and have happily climbed the stairs at work (3 flights each time) and not felt out of breath at the top which I usually do. It seems impressive after just 1 class!
  • kristi321
    Options
    Thanks Kristi!
    I must say, I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it, whilst at the same time being pushed to the edge of my comfort zone due to the heat. I felt invigorated and signed up to their introductory offer of unlimited sessions for 30 days. I'm 2 days after and have happily climbed the stairs at work (3 flights each time) and not felt out of breath at the top which I usually do. It seems impressive after just 1 class!

You are very welcome! Some people argue that it's not a real cardio workout, but walking up steep hills has improved drastically in how I breathe and the exertion it takes. I was shocked! They say you get the most benefit from going 3 times a week or 10 about classes a month. You will definitely notice differences in your body after several weeks! And it's such a stress reliever.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started it with a groupon and love it. Haven't made it to a class in a little while due to finals, but will be back next week after I hand in my last story! I was amazed by how much stronger it made my abs. As for logging, I put it as hatha yoga even though I think I'm getting a harder workout. I'd rather underestimate my exercise calories than go over.
  • FatSyrup
    FatSyrup Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I am 5'6'' and 160 lbs. If I do Bikram in the early morning class ( only 75 mins). My HRM shows I burns 450 calories but if I do it in the late afternoon or evening (90 mins) , it shows 550 to 650 calories