best recovery foods

Options
2»

Replies

• ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Balance of carbs and proteins with a little fat. E.g an apple with a slice of wholemeal toast with peanut butter and a protein shake or grilled chicken breast.
  • nannanorem
    nannanorem Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk :) I'm going to try that! Thanks
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Proper overall nutrition and proper rest. There's no such thing as a "recovery food."

This! You've just exausted yourself and probably stressed your central nervous system a little. Rest is probably most of what you need. UTR is right though, no majic recovery food. Just good nutrition combined with the rest.
  • Janeeemonettt
    Janeeemonettt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My trainer has advised me to eat easily digestable protein an hour before i work out. It helps with the recovery. Plus i work out before dinner, so for dinner i eat no carbs, just protein & veggies. That seems to help!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My trainer has advised me to eat easily digestable protein an hour before i work out. It helps with the recovery. Plus i work out before dinner, so for dinner i eat no carbs, just protein & veggies. That seems to help!

Your trainer is giving you reasonable advice for workout recovery. The OP has a minor case of overtraining going on from what it sounds like. That is more an overall fatigue and CNS issue. Rest and overall good nutrition is the only thing that will help.

PS: The veggies you eat for dinner are carbs. I'm guessing you meant no starches? Like say potatoes or rice or pasta? BTW, if you are working out at high intensity, like heavy lifting, those starches can be helpful in replacing glycogen stores. Run that by your trainer for thier input based on your workout program.