Too fat to fly

Options
JamesonsMommy
JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
I read an article today about a woman who is suing an airline because they told her she was too fat to fly. What is your opinion on this? Personally i think if you are above a certain size you should be required to purchase an additional seat. I've been on quite a few flights where the person next to me took up their entire seat and a good bit of mine. I don't know about you but i don't want to have to give up some of my seat to accommodate your wider than normal A--.

Replies

• courtxoney
    courtxoney Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i dont think anyone has a right to tell someone that they can't fly because of their weight. unless its a safety reason.
    i also agree that they should have to pay for two if they are taking up more than just one seat..
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I agree. If you can't fit in the space that your ticket provides, then you need to purchase more space. This is not judgmental but rather just business.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, because I know that people who are overweight don't want to be overweight, and sometimes it is out of their control, but if you take up two seats you should pay for two seats. I took a Spirit flight once with 1/3 of my seat. I literally had to half-cheek myself up against the window because the woman next to me was taking up more than half my seat. It was completely unfair to me to not receive the entire seat I paid for. And of course, the flight was sold out and I couldn't delay because I would miss my connection.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yes, they should have to pay for another seat. Simple. /End post.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Do you have a link? If they said it like that....well that's pretty harsh. But yes she should have to at least pay for another seat if she can't fit into one.
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am too fat to fly with one seat. :cry: I just don't fly at all now. I don't blame the airlines. I blame myself. They did not make me fat, I did. If I had to fly, such as an emergency, I would buy two seats. I would be selfish and unfair of me to not to.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I really feel bad for the lady this happened too...however..in all fairness..if she is taking up another seat..she should pay for it