Pedometer tracking

So I use a pedometer every day while I am at work and I was wondering, do those steps count as actual exercise? Also how do you convert you steps into calories burned and so forth. The one I use is just a cheap one from wal-mart so its nothing major I was just wondering. Its 11am and I started work at 7am so far i have 4587 steps and that converts to 2.16 miles. Should I count this as exercise? :ohwell:

Forgot to mention that I am a nurse but I have an office job. I do spend a lot of time walking but my job is still not considered sedentary but its not active. I did chose nurse as my profession when I signed up so Im just kind of confused.

Replies

• cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    bump
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,749 Member
    So I use a pedometer every day while I am at work and I was wondering, do those steps count as actual exercise? Also how do you convert you steps into calories burned and so forth. The one I use is just a cheap one from wal-mart so its nothing major I was just wondering. Its 11am and I started work at 7am so far i have 4587 steps and that converts to 2.16 miles. Should I count this as exercise? :ohwell:

Forgot to mention that I am a nurse but I have an office job. I do spend a lot of time walking but my job is still not considered sedentary but its not active. I did chose nurse as my profession when I signed up so Im just kind of confused.

I say its a judgement call. Do you walk with a purpose or just when I get there I get there? Also under the exersice on here listen under walking they have different speeds then all you do is log in your times.

I'd say take a weekend of a couple days off and map your days. how many steps to you take in a length of time at what speed. Then during the week you will have a gage to go by. It won't be perfect but it will be better then nothing. I guess on here they have under tools a thing you can buy that tracks everything and can be transfered to here. I am not ready for that myself.

I used to work at a hospital (office person) and I know I was all over that hospital I wonder now how many steps I took. :smile:

Just remember the main thing you are working. I figure depending on how you list your activity you can count daily stuff or not.

Bottom line its your health and you know better then any of us here (you know you and cause of your job) what you need to do. Do what you feel is right for your health and for you. And don't let anyone here get you down.

Stay positive and wish you well on your journey.
  • cassienp
    cassienp Posts: 36
    Alright thanks for the advice!!!
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    I actually am wondering the same thing. Can anyone else offer a clear yes or no answer as to whether or not it is better to count regular activity? I'm fine with detailed explanations too ;)
  • I attribute those steps to your BMR calculation, because the formula takes into account your daily activity. (Sedentary, lightly active, etc.). You're only cheating yourself if you count the steps you take in day to day activities.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Since it is part of your daily, everyday activity I would not count it as exercise. Your body is adapted to it and sees it as normal. I would just adjust your activity level on here accordingly. Maybe lightly active or active.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    I attribute those steps to your BMR calculation, because the formula takes into account your daily activity. (Sedentary, lightly active, etc.). You're only cheating yourself if you count the steps you take in day to day activities.

Just a slight correction here, your bmr is the calories you burn just existing in a coma-like state, only what you need for organ function, heart pumping, etc. TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is your bmr plus the calories you burn in daily activities.