Alternative for oatmeal (any suggestions)

Options
dejatyja
dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
So as a child, I never did like oatmeal. But as I got older, there a many things I didn't like as a child but I will eat now. I've tried oatmeal again, and "no" I still don't like oatmeal. I've read how good it is to eat oatmeal for breakfast (and pre-workout). Generally, I'm not a breakfast person but I do try. When I really don't have the appetite for breakfast I drink a Carnation Breakfast Essential shake. Is that ok?

I'm just looking for some help here! Any suggestions, I'm willing to listen and try!

Replies

• Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of oatmeal either, but I eat it from time to time. 1/2 cup Oatmeal with 2 tbsp peanut butter makes it less bland. I usually add 1-2 tsp of sugar too. If it's the consistency, you can add more or less water.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Whatever you want to eat. Oatmeal isn't magical, it's just a delicious carb source. In my opinion, anyway. Rice, quinoa, pasta, whole grain bread, etc all fit the same bill as oatmeal, nutritionally speaking.
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Not sure, Is oatmeal the same as porridge? I have porridge quite a lot. It is very filling and lowers cholesterol I believe. I have it made with water but add raspberries( usually frozen ones defrosted), 1tbsp maple syrup and a spoonful of low fat yoghurt. Really delicious!
  • tabbycat27
    tabbycat27 Posts: 9
    Options
    Not sure, Is oatmeal the same as porridge? I have porridge quite a lot. It is very filling and lowers cholesterol I believe. I have it made with water but add raspberries( usually frozen ones defrosted), 1tbsp maple syrup and a spoonful of low fat yoghurt. Really delicious!

Mmmm, I've never thought of adding maple syrup to sweeten my oatmeal! Will have to try!!!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I was never a huge fan of oatmeal either. I do like the Quaker instant Cinnamon Roll flavor, but it is high in sugar.
    Just this past week, I discovered 'refrigerator oatmeal' here on MFP and really like it! I made it four times last week and yesterday made enough for this week. You make it before hand so it's easy to grab and go if you need to.
    I also never thought I would like cold oatmeal.... but it's really good.
    This morning I had it with Chocolate PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and a banana.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/580422-refrigerator-oatmeal-overnight-oatmeal-i-finally-tried-it
  • rrentas
    rrentas Posts: 1
    Options
    5 Oatmeal Alternatives

Kristin Gabrys May 18, 2012

While it’s easy to slide into an oatmeal rut, there are countless ways to vary your morning bowl by adding protein, fruit, and spices (see "How to Make Your Oatmeal Less Boring" for ideas). Another way to mix things up: Kickstart your day with one of the tasty grains below, which have oatmeal qualities and similar health benefits but a slightly different taste.

1. Wheat Berries

Wheat berries have a chewy texture and nutty flavor when boiled. They're also high in fiber, protein, and many essential vitamins and nutrients such as iron, calcium, vitamin E, folate, potassium, and B vitamins. Top wheat berries with thin slices of sauteed pears, cranberries, honey, Greek yogurt (for an extra punch of protein), or ginger.

2. Quinoa

A complete protein, quinoa has all nine essential amino acids. It's cholesterol-, sodium-, and gluten-free, and filled with fiber, iron, and other nutrients. Boil and simmer for 10 minutes, and then top with walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, blueberries, peaches, oats, pears, coconut, or a splash of almond milk. For an instant breakfast, buy quinoa flakes, add water, and microwave it for two minutes. Quinoa flakes can often be found in the gluten-free section of your health food store.

3. Buckwheat

Buckwheat is a gluten-free grain that's high in protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and B vitamins. Its strong earthy flavor pairs well with apples, cardamom, or almond butter. Pocono's Cream of Buckwheat takes about 15 minutes to prepare on the stovetop.

4. Amaranth

This sweet grain has been linked to lower blood pressure and cholesterol. It's also been shown to help strengthen immunity. Like quinoa and buckwheat, amaranth is high in iron, and lysine, an amino acid not found in many other grains. Cooked similar to steel cut oats, amaranth takes 30 minutes to prepare. Top it with crystallized ginger, milk, sesame seeds, blueberries, or cinnamon.

5. Spelt

Chewy spelt berries offer a rich flavor and lots of texture. This high-protein grain is also an excellent source of manganese, copper, and zinc. It takes about an hour to cook. Whip up a batch the night before, add water in the morning, and reheat to save time. Spelt berries taste great with bananas, raspberries, dates, honey, nutmeg, or almond milk.

Kristin Gabrys is a performance nutritionist for Core Performance's corporate wellness programs.
    http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/nutrition/5-oatmeal-alternatives.html
  • ThereOnceWasAUnionMaid
    Options
    I can't eat oatmeal but I just started making a brown rice porridge that's similar to oatmeal but tastier (at least I think so!) I make mine in my crockpot so I can just let it cook all day, but I imagine you could also cook it on the stove. Here's my recipe:

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 3-5 hours

Serves 10-12

Ingredients:

- 4 cups brown rice
    - 8 cups water
    -1.5 cups milk (I used skim milk, but I imagine you could use any sort of dairy or non-dairy milk)
    - One apple, cut in to to 1/4" slices
    - 1 tbsp brown sugar
    - 1 tbsp maple syrup

1. Compine all ingredients in large crockpot. Stir a few times and then put top on slowcooker.

2. Cook on high for 3-5 hours or until rice has reached a creamy consistentecy and is cooked all the way through.

3. Enjoy on it's own or with additional brown sugar & raisins. You could add more apples if you want (the apples sort of lose their flaor but are a great texture).
  • moonbutt
    moonbutt Posts: 9
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal, egg white and spoon of greek yoghurt, little bit of almond milk....makes one pancake. drizzle with honey and top with fruit. you might enjoy it this way.