Peanut Butter Substitute

Options
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions - I'm constantly seeing really yummy looking recipes for healthy versions of my favourite things (read cookies and muffins!) on here but so many seem to use Peanut Butter. Now, whilst I haven't any sort of allergy, I just hate the stuff - not just butter, all nuts.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could sub peanut butter for and what the substitution ratio should be?

Would REALLY appreciate it.

Muchos gracias.

Sarahxx

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is used as a fat source as well as a flavoring. So I'd suggest something like coconut oil (a more solid fat would probably give more comparable results than a liquid oil). If you want lower fat, maybe use the standard recipe substitution of applesauce for fat.

As for ratios, I'd start by using the same amount. And if you sub the applesauce, I personally have had the best results by replacing half the fat in the recipe and leaving the other half. So if the recipe call for half a cup of butter, use a quarter cup of applesauce and a quarter cup of butter. You can replace all the fat in some recipes, but for others it doesn't work so well.

Hope you're able to find something that works. :happy:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    There are different flavor of "butters". Peanut, almond or nutella. Also there is a powdered peanut butter called PB2. Its 45 calories for 2 TBSP of the powder and you mix it with 1 TBSP of water. To me ( a huge peanut butter lover) it's ok. Doesn't have as much of the pb flavor that I would like but I guess it does its job.
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    Thanks guys. Will try the suggestions out and report back :smile:
  • belvafhall
    belvafhall Posts: 6
    Options
    Look in the peanut butter section for some thing called PB2 it is also in powder form it is really healthy an a great alliterative !
  • audreygonzy
    audreygonzy Posts: 169
    Options
    There's sunbutter! (butter made out of sunflower seeds)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    sunflower butter or soynut butter maybe?