I'm 47% of the man I used to be, my two year journey!

Options
BigMech
BigMech Posts: 420 Member
As of this week, I've hit my latest weight loss goal, and I will probably stick at this weight for a while.

I've always been big, both height and weight. In March of 2010 at the age of 37, I weighed 490lbs at 6'6" tall. Several things came together at that point in time to finally make me realize that if I wanted to be around for my kids and wife, and set a good example for them, I needed to make some changes and I needed to make them now!

I started watching what I was eating and starting getting up early in the morning several days a week to go walking. First 2 miles, then 3, then 4. In April I started using the workout room at work in the afternoon to lift for 20 minutes or so, 3 days a week. By June, I had lost about 25 lbs.

In June, my wife got us a family membership to Orchard Hills Athletic club, and then things really started to click. I started hitting the gym 4 days a week, doing cardio and heavy lifting. I also started watching what I was eating more closely, and was limiting my calories to 2200-2500 a day, with as much protein as I could get. Within 4 months I was going 5 days a week, and between cardio and lifting, I was putting in 2+ hours a day at the gym. By December 30th 2010 I had already lost 100 lbs and was down to 390lbs. With this regime I was losing between 2.5 and 3 lbs a week!

In April of 2011, I ran my first full mile (at 340lbs), and started building up my running millage as well as hitting the gym, reaching 6 miles running by July. In August of 2011 I ran my first 5k in 38 minutes, and did another in October in 32 minutes.

It was September of 2011 when I hit my original goal of losing 220lbs, for a weight of 270lbs. When I started, I had a hard time imagining I would even get here. When I saw how much extra weight I was still carrying, I set a new goal of 245lbs, which would be half of my starting weight. I reached the 245lbs goal in December of 2011, and then 240lbs in January of 2012. I stayed at 240 for 2 months, but then decided I still had some more to lose, and set my sites on 230lbs, for a total loss of 260lbs.

I reached 230lbs this past week! The last 10lbs came off much slower, but that was intentional, as I didn't want to give up any of the muscle I have worked so hard to build up during these 2 years. I went from a size 62 pant to currently wearing a size 36. My chest has gone from 60 inches to a solid 46.5. My arms from 21 to a solid 15.5". I'll be 40 at the end of this month, and I'm in the best shape of my life!

I still go to the gym 5 days a week, for roughly 2 hours at a time. I do about 35 minutes of cardio, and the rest is heavy lifting on 4 day split. I also run 2 or 3 times a week, usually 5 or 6 miles at an 8:40 per mile or so pace. I did a 5k this past weekend in 25:52!

While going from 240lbs to 230lbs, I was eating 3,600 calories a day, with about 250g of protein. MFP was great for tracking this. Now that I hit 230, I've upped it to 3,800 calories, and will up it another 200 if I keep losing.
The difference this has made in my life has been amazing. I haven't weighed this little since junior high school, and I was much shorter then. I have so much more energy now, and feel so much better about myself, so much more confident. My kids have picked up my healthier habits as well, and we are a healthier family now. My wife has lost 40lbs so far as well.

Just wanted to share this with everyone, and let you know that with hard work and determination, it can be done. You've just got to want it and work for it, and it will happen!

Enough Rambling, here are some pictures:

Here is me at 490lbs at Disney World:
490lbs.JPG

Here is me in December of 2010 at 390lbs:
390lbs.JPG

This is when I hit 270lbs:
260lbs.jpg

245lbs with my old pants (Size 62 to size 38 in this picture)
245lbs_old_pants.JPG

These are me at 230!
230lbs_1.JPG

230lbs_2.JPG

230lbs_3.JPG

This is a collage of pictures from start to finish that I took with my webcam:
6_pictures_small.jpg

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congrats. Great work.
  • jeby8
    jeby8 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow you look fantastic! Very inspiring! Congrats on everything you've been doing!
  • jenbunboo
    jenbunboo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP! Fantastic job!
  • riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Awesome, awesome job.
  • RomaBella10
    RomaBella10 Posts: 15
    Options
    Amazing transformation!! Congrats!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    that is fantastic, awesome work!!!
  • kristinakingsley
    Options
    WOW, great job, you like a totally different person!!!!!
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    WOW!! those pics have to be some of my favs! what a journey! great inspiration!! :-) congrats
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Congrats, my friend!

I'm just glad you didn't lap me on the weight -- it would have been pretty sad for me if we were both 215!
  • susieqa6699
    susieqa6699 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Amazing.....truly inspiring. Thanks for posting
  • Mirandas5bgirls
    Mirandas5bgirls Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Can you say double take??? You look fantastic!
  • svioleta
    svioleta Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!! That's incredible!! You are a great inspiration!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    WOW WOW WOW! amazing work. You rock! :flowerforyou:
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    vevry awesome job!!!! i wish that i could show this to my dad, but he is content with eating unhealthy. Truly an inspiration!!!!!
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    You look like a completely different guy! Great job!
  • shyandemily
    shyandemily Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the wonderful acheivement. You did an amazing job and you look pretty darn awesome. Thank you for sharing.
  • shannonmarable
    shannonmarable Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Incredible weight loss and I love how the mustache stays the same in the pics.
  • Marefr
    Marefr Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are amazingly fit and handsome! Hooray for the whole family!
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am forwarding this thread to a couple guys who are where you were 2 years ago. Amazing work and congrats on your hard work and success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!