How to stay away from artificial sweetners

Options
iuali81
iuali81 Posts: 47 Member
This is something I would really like to focus on. We (my family and I) used to drink a ton of Crystal Light. I am slowly fading this out for us. I don't want to continue to use artificial sweetners (Splenda, Equal, etc), but what are options for sweetening things that are low in fat/calories, but not bad for you? I can't drink my coffee w/o some sort of sweetner in it. I don't want to give up my coffee.

Replies

• riadastfu
    riadastfu Posts: 69
    Options
    Stevia/TRuvia/Agave nectar from what I heard.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I did away with all those things over a year ago. I use stevia drops and they come in different flavors. I use hazelnut stevia in my coffee and use mini moo's single serving cream.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    One teaspoon of sugar is 15 calories. My motto is if you consume so much added sugar that you need to find lower calorie alternatives, chances are you are just consuming too much sugar in your diet.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use honey, stevia or chopped fruit.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that Truvia is not just stevia. It's mixed with Erythritol. I personally don't have a problem with that, but in many people it causes, er, digestive trouble.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pure Stevia is best. it actually has medicinal properties such as healing pancreatic cells- so it is excellent for diabetics! Truvia is the coca-cola butchered version of stevia. It does not have the natural benefits of pure stevia, as it has been chemically processed and refined, but there is no evidence that it is bad for you- and the granulated texture and similarity to table sugar make it easy to use. I really really like both stevia and Truvia, but try to use natural stevia where I can. Truvia is great for things like sprinkling on grapefruit- where you want that sugary texture.

And Agave....Agave is not a good substitute for anything. It is the agave plant's version of high fructose corn syrup. I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole.