Good Fat from Nuts, Bad Fat from Twinkies...

Options
mixtaplix
mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
I partake in almonds almost everyday at lunch. Usually just around a handful, sometimes a little more. When I go a little more, it seems to peak my fat intake for the day. I know, stop it with the little more. lol. Just wondering the effect on diet the fat has, being the supposed "good fat". I sort of grasp the calorie/carb bit, but I don't really know the impact of fat (and the variations of Good vs Bad) on the diet...anyone with a laymans answer? A quick look up says to keep total fat intake to 20-35% of calories. Does this sound right? I'm such a noob....lol.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    It can vary widely, all with good results. Other than essential oils, we can do what we want. Personally I support the hypothesis that natural fats found in whole foods should be priority. As far as added fat is concered I like natural and unrefined, like extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, butter, virgin coconut oil, duck fat, lard etc. These to me are good fats. Bad fats would constitute any refined vegetable oil, especially ones with very high levels of omega's (omega's should only come in the foods they are found in) and of course partially hydrogenated anything.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It can vary widely, all with good results. Other than essential oils, we can do what we want. Personally I support the hypothesis that natural fats found in whole foods should be priority. As far as added fat is concered I like natural and unrefined, like extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, butter, virgin coconut oil, duck fat, lard etc. These to me are good fats. Bad fats would constitute any refined vegetable oil, especially ones with very high levels of omega's (omega's should only come in the foods they are found in) and of course partially hydrogenated anything.

Agree with this statement.
  • mixtaplix
    mixtaplix Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies! I do try to stick with the natural unrefined fats as well, especially when used in cooking. This site and forum has really helped me in getting alot of the "bad" out of my diet. Once again, thanks!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I can tell you from my own personal experience that I used to be obsessed with low fat & low cal everything. I've gotten smarter about my fats and (with the exception of yesterday which included pizza & a cupcake) while I go over in fat several days a week I'm always under in saturated and almost always at zero for transfats. Since adding flax oil to my diet (I mix it into coffee or protein shakes daily) and adding chia seeds into most anything I can think of and eating a handful of almonds as a snack most days, I've lost over 10 lbs, I feel stronger, my skin looks better. I really think it makes a huge difference getting a good amount of healthy fat in my diet. It also really helps me feel more satiated. I'm much much much less snackish now that I've been making a point to eat fat!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think vegetable oil should be classified as a "bad" oil. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but "vegetable oil" like corn oil is a lab created omega-6 oil.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I think vegetable oil should be classified as a "bad" oil. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but "vegetable oil" like corn oil is a lab created omega-6 oil.
    Nope, agree 100%, which I stated above. Omega 6's should come from natural sources, which are few and far between, so with the majority of added oil being refined omega 6's we're adding omega 3's to every processed food imaginable to narrow the omega balance within the population.......kinda backward thinking.