Not Getting Enough Calories

Options
ecborders
ecborders Posts: 13 Member
Hi! I have a possibly unusual question for you guys.. I'm having issues eating ENOUGH food! I plan out a few meals a day with snacks, but lately I've been finding myself coming up around 600-900 calories too short! I really don't want to eat random nutrient-lacking food simply to up my calories.. What's a good snack/meal idea (typically evening) I can eat that is nutritious and WON'T overload my sodium intake? That's probably my biggest concern. Always having to watch that.. (:

Note: I'm trying to eat 2150 calories now, but eventually will up that a few hundred more. I'm not looking for advice on how many calories to eat - I've already worked that out with my personal trainer. I just need to figure out how to get enough food!!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/369933-high-calorie-low-sodium-foods/

hope that helps! i totally fail at sodium intake most days, so other people's advice is about the best i can give. good luck!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    peanut butter (you can find no or low sodium versions) stirred into smoothies, oatmeal, yogurt, on toast ect...

oatmeal: my favorite breakfast, I load mine up with peanut butter, banana & an egg for lots of protein and fiber

might sound weird but oil, I read about bullet proof coffee (its a blog/store you can google) and the guy talks about adding butter to his coffee and losing weight, getting healthier with it. I couldnt stand the taste of the butter but I've been using flax oil and I know others on mfp use raw coconut oil, helps skin, has the good fat in it and I feel like its helped me lose weight.

increasing your portion sizes will add more obviously, but gradually because you're probably used to eating less so you fill up quicker. and adding larger portions of good carbs like rice & sweet potatoes will help

good luck!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Natural peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread
    Oatmeal
    Yogurt
    Protein shakes

Make the portions larger for your other meals too.
  • ecborders
    ecborders Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate it. I haven't actually tried oatmeal yet but I'll make that a goal. (: