Stretching

Options
I've amped up my cardio a little more in the last week and my legs are sore. Does anyone have any stretching tips or exercises that keep them limber?

Replies

• smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    5mins on a bike, stretch for 10-15mins, then do your workout then spend 15mins stretching afterwards. Lots of water (half your body weight in ounces), lots of continuous stretching (no bouncing-it tears muscles) for at least 30-60seconds/3 times through for each muscle group.

(I'm an athletic trainer so I have to tell my hs athletes every day :) )
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I always do a little cardio to warm up my muscles, then stretch then jump into my full out cardio scession.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a foam roller for sure. Look up foam rolling on YouTube. You'll see what I mean.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Get yourself a foam roller for sure. Look up foam rolling on YouTube. You'll see what I mean.

^^^^^this - best thing ever - hurts like the ****ens for a while, but really effective!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've amped up my cardio a little more in the last week and my legs are sore. Does anyone have any stretching tips or exercises that keep them limber?

The time an exerciser should stretch is not agreed upon. When I first started, the consensus was that you should do it before working out, always doing a warm up. Stretching afterwards was also considered desirable.

Since then, the view has evolved to one that, while stretching is a good thing, it doesn't have to be done immediately before or after and there's a question whether it actually prevents injuries.

For the legs, you would want a hamstring stretch, a quadriceps stretch, and a gastrocnemius stretch as basic exercises. Google them. If you have back problems, use the hamstring stretch variations that don't stress the back. If you bend over, tighten your abs to protect your back.

Understand also that too much flexibility (the kind a professional dancer would need) is not usually necessary or even healthful for the ordinary exerciser.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    yoga.
  • norabeth
    norabeth Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yoga classes are great.
  • redrover
    redrover Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Agree - foam roller and yoga. Do either depending on how much time you have and where you are.