"Forcing" food on you...

Options
Jessamine
Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
I really hate it when people attempt to force food on you.

My husband and I had a group meeting last night wherein a couple (our good friends) brought a large store-bought tub of bakery cookies. Very few cookies were eaten over the course of the meeting. The couple who brought them asked us to take them home. We politely said, "No, thank you." They insisted that we take it. We said, "No." They said that we didn't have to take them all -- just a little doggie bag. We said "No." They said, "Oh come on!"

Good grief!! My husband and I left the meeting feeling guilty for not taking it off their hands.

It was even more frustrating because this couple has been eating healthy and dieting for a few years (they're doing awesome!) and they routinely turn down offers of food or desserts. I was really surprised that they were giving us such a hard time about it.

Replies

• MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when people attempt to force food on you.

My husband and I had a group meeting last night wherein a couple (our good friends) brought a large store-bought tub of bakery cookies. Very few cookies were eaten over the course of the meeting. The couple who brought them asked us to take them home. We politely said, "No, thank you." They insisted that we take it. We said, "No." They said that we didn't have to take them all -- just a little doggie bag. We said "No." They said, "Oh come on!"

Good grief!! My husband and I left the meeting feeling guilty for not taking it off their hands.

It was even more frustrating because this couple has been eating healthy and dieting for a few years (they're doing awesome!) and the routinely turn down offers of food or desserts. I was really surprised that they were giving us such a hard time about it.

Take them then drop them off at a shelter
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Agree with MassiveDelta. Take them and give them to someone who needs calories. Or throw them away.
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree sometimes it's just easier to say yes to something and then throw them out when you get home.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    That's probably why they wanted them out of their house. I don't like having extra junk food around either. Still, that doesn't mean you'll want it! I try to take extra junk to work to leave out as a giveaway. Or, you could trash it. I don't feel guilty throwing out unhealthy food.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Agree with MassiveDelta. Take them and give them to someone who needs calories. Or throw them away.

If you do throw them away make sure they see you do it...problem solved for next time :)
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options

If you do throw them away make sure they see you do it...problem solved for next time :)

YES! Haha...

It all just bothered me because no one should pressure you when you've already given a firm "No."
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That is part of my weight problem. My grandmother on my mom's side is a real food pusher!! You barely get done eating and she is trying to give you something else.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I work in a nursing home kitchen and the chef always offers me the food. I feel bad when I tell her no you'd think she would stop offering it when I tell her I bring my own. She always talks about how I never eat because I don't eat huge portions of food like everyone else.
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    I am often "forced" to take food from a friend's house. I know it makes her feel special and like she's taking care of people. I take it home and throw it away. I don't feel guilty.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    I come from a Portuguese family on one side and have a grandfather who was formerly a chef at a five star hotel in on the other side, so I know the feeling. The portuguese side still attempts to force feed me but my grandpa's gotten rather accommodating when I eat over there now, he'll make me something healthier or separate =)
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people get offended when you refuse their food. It doesn't make any sense.

Like you're hurting their feelings or being an *kitten* by not wanting to eat their fudge or their stupid sausage.
  • CarSidDar
    CarSidDar Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The stick thin woman who works for me is always saying "have one they're so good". I know her intentions are good, but my willpower is limited :drinker:
  • LovelyNFit
    LovelyNFit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would have been upset. They wanted the junk food off their hands and into yours. WHY? b/c you deserve junk food? They were being selfish just thinking about them self not how that junk food will affect YOU. Clearly they know how it would affect THEM that is why they don't want it.

Agree with "take it and throw it so they see you"

*I* would not consider people like that good friends.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You turned down cookies and didn't take any home with you. don't feel guilty feel proud. If they get offended because you didn't want any of their store bought cookies too bad. You have goals that don't need to be messed with. Well done.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Ugh my Mother is like that. She's constantly "oh just have one glass of wine, oh just have a small bowl of ice cream".

NOOOOO!! I don't WANT it.

She's on here actually, hope she doesn't see this :blushing:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people get offended when you refuse their food. It doesn't make any sense.

Like you're hurting their feelings or being an *kitten* by not wanting to eat their fudge or their stupid sausage.

I don't get it either. I once watched a coworker get all offended because another coworker quietly passed on eating some leftover Halloween candy she brought in. The coworker who passed had potentially life threatening food allergies, the candy in question was unsafe for her to eat due to possible contamination, but the other coworker still didn't get it. I wanted to scream at her.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time since we do birthday celebrations with my team. I just say "thank you", take it back to my office, close my door, and throw it in my trash can!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

If it's homemade food, I could kinda see it. But I don't have a lot of emotional investment in storebought cookies.
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This happens quite often, my usual reply is to be honest. I just tell the person(s) that "I appreciate the offer but, I am changing my diet, removing as much junk, candy, chocolate and bad food as possible and am working to improve my health and lose weight at the same time."

It helps prevent a repeat of the same situation in the future.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    That is part of my weight problem. My grandmother on my mom's side is a real food pusher!! You barely get done eating and she is trying to give you something else.

Yup. My stepmom, who is a great cook and a wonderful person all around, is the same way.

Fortunately, she does "counter service", so most of the food is on the counter. I eat small bites and try to mound food high but narrow if possible, and eat from the top so it looks like the pile is vanishing quickly as the pile collapses. Then, before I'm done, I'll go back for "seconds", add a tiny bit, and re-shape the pile quickly with my fork.

She thinks I'm eating a lot more than I am, and she leaves me alone and works on someone else.

The real problem, of course, is that she's an excellent cook. So the temptation is to gorge myself silly. And occasionally I do, but I plan something really vigorous for the next day and forgive myself while I pay penance.

Fortunately, she lives several thousand miles away, and we only manage to visit for a week or two every couple of years.