eating 1,200 per day and burning 360-700 cals per day

Options
Hi,
MFP has set my WL goal at 1.3 lbs per week with a 640 calorie per day deficit (my RMR is 1,840) which amounts to a 1,200 calorie a day limit. I have been eating at least 1,200 calories a day sometimes going over but burning anywhere between 360-700 calories per day depending on time and how much I've eaten that day. If I go over the 1,200 cal a day limit I always make sure to burn off the excess plus an additional 360 calories so that I can lose 2 lbs. per week. I thought that by doing this I would speed up my WL progress but I haven't lost any weight since I've been doing this. Any suggestions and/or thoughts are much appreciated.

Replies

• cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    STOP!!! Your starving yourself!

You need to eat more food. I ate 1200 calories without exercising and on a sedentary life style. Lost like 8 lbs immediatly then it stopped. I now eat 1200+ all my exercise calories back. On days I don't exercise, I eat about 1500 calories, maybe more. You should NEVER net under 1200. Google BMR, TDEE and find out what is right for you.

exercise.png
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As above. Eat more.
  • jbsangel
    jbsangel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yeah it seems eat more to lose more is key. You have to find what works for you, but that is a good place to start.
  • TinaCleg_cancel
    Options
    I am going to up my calories this week for this reason. I was eating 1200 calories, no excercise calories back, and have only lost 1.1 lbs in three weeks! That's not good... Hopefully next week will be better
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Your RMR is not the number of calories you burn every day doing whatever it is that you do. It is the number of calories you burn doing absolutely nothing. I'm not sure if you have calculated it correctly, but regardless, MFP is pretty simple if you use it correctly.

1. Set your activity level here. Most people are lightly active. Sedentary is often a little low for most people. You can always adjust this.

2. Set your goal to lose 1 lb per week. This creates a deficit for you. You eat this number of calories on rest days. It is a goal, not a limit. Sorry, 2 lbs per week without that much weight to lose is not realistic. You're likely setting yourself up for failure.

3. When you exercise, eat all or most of you exercise calories. This leaves you with a moderate deficit. Your net calories then should be close to or equal to the calories you would eat on rest days.

Make sure you are accurately tracking your food here (a food scale is helpful). Make sure you are accurately measuring your calorie burns (like with a heart rate monitor).

If you want to do this the healthy way, eat more, exercise, and no quick fixes.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input. That's what I was suspecting was going on but couldn't bring myself to believe that eating too little could bring the weight loss to a halt. I will be upping my calories or at least eating my exercise calories back.
  • ruthmarie1
    ruthmarie1 Posts: 7
    Options
    STARVING is NOT the way to achieve long term weight loss or maintenance. Follow the guide within 100 calories of what it says you should be eating, they are pretty accurate.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Hi,
    MFP has set my WL goal at 1.3 lbs per week with a 640 calorie per day deficit (my RMR is 1,840) which amounts to a 1,200 calorie a day limit. I have been eating at least 1,200 calories a day sometimes going over but burning anywhere between 360-700 calories per day depending on time and how much I've eaten that day. If I go over the 1,200 cal a day limit I always make sure to burn off the excess plus an additional 360 calories so that I can lose 2 lbs. per week. I thought that by doing this I would speed up my WL progress but I haven't lost any weight since I've been doing this. Any suggestions and/or thoughts are much appreciated.

I believe the recommended weight loss goal by MFP is 1 pound per week, although you can change it to reflect up to 2 pounds per week. When you start attempting to lose weight quickly, your body is going to shut down the weight loss and hoard calories when possible. Result: A life time of yo-yo dieting. Better slow and steady without feeling you are being denied. That way you adjust to your new healthy eating style without a lot of cravings.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I cant really add anything else than what has already been said but I would like to suggest lowering your weekly weight loss goal to 1 pound o r less. Trying to loose more than that can really be unhealthy and actually take longer than if you had just tried to lose .5 lbs per week from the beginning.
  • jeremydolby
    jeremydolby Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've found that the GNC or EAS brand protein shakes for breakfast, a shake or large but low-cal lunch helps me to lose consistently every week without going to the gym and I rarely eat much for dinner; I'd lose a lot more if I'd workout! Easier to eat well on the weekends at home than in the office, at least I had that issue before discovering these really good protein shakes. Eating 1 gram of protein per pound of your target weight each day PLUS fiber and vitamin supplements helps keep your weight loss steady.

Your body does need to get used to your new diet so discovering what works best for you will require some experimentation. It took me time to get this big fat *kitten*, it's going to take some time to shed but I WILL lose it =^D

Ruthmarie1 is right - follow the guide as closely as possible; this is what has worked for me and my friends and family that use this tool too. But I wouldn't be losing weight as quickly and consistently if I hadn't started with a buddy. Somebody that's at about the same place as you, not that skinny little b***h that complains about the 5 pounds she put on 10 years ago and can't get rid of!

GOOD LUCK! =-)