Moving to Australia

Options
Hey! My Partner Visa has just been approved and me and my Aussie boyfriend are moving to Australia in July. I'm a small town Canadian gal and I'm looking to see if anyone has moved to Australia recently and how their experiance is going? I would also like to know how the flight is? I know its about a 15hr flight and I really hate flying. I was even debating getting on a freighter...theres one that goes all the way to Australia and it takes about 2 weeks. It would be a cool experiance but thats a lonnnnng time! Anyways let me know if you relate or have advice :) Cheers

Replies

• Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm an Aussie who left Australia to move to Sweden (over 10 years ago now!!) so kinda same shiz! Well done on getting the Aussie visa, we have looked at it a few times for my man, and its such a lot of work and money.

Flight for me from europe is around 21-22 hours, and its no picnic but you get through it (I hate flying too) Take stuff to keep you busy, maybe even something to calm you down (talk to your doc) sometimes you don't even need to take anything, but just knowing you have something if you freak out is comforting!

Where are you planning to settle?? best of luck, Its a fantastic country and I miss it a little everyday!!
  • chestnut12
    chestnut12 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey thanks! Let me tell you it was a painful and annoying process in getting that Visa! It took about 8 months and of course alot of money. I was shocked when I was finally granted it and danced around a little with excitement. Anyways I've flown lots before so I've taken some anti-anxiety meds but they didn't really work geat. I was going to ask the doc for maybe a good sleeping med. I know alot of people are scared to fly too but its one of those thngs you have to push yourself to do or else your missing out on sooo many cool experiances. I'm not to sure yet where we will settle, leaning towards Perth but depends where he can find a job. It must of been a bit more harder for you moving to Sweden because of the different language but you seem to have lasted 10 years!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It was tough, and lonely for a while, be weary of that, you might get that too, or even a mild depression, just try to throw your self in situations where you are with people so you have more possibilities to make friends, its so important to have more than just your man there!! The language part sucked, as I was kind of resentful of having to learn it, even though of course I had to! LOL

Made life easy for my kidlets though, they speak both fluently and have dual citizenship.
    Hey thanks! Let me tell you it was a painful and annoying process in getting that Visa! It took about 8 months and of course alot of money. I was shocked when I was finally granted it and danced around a little with excitement. Anyways I've flown lots before so I've taken some anti-anxiety meds but they didn't really work geat. I was going to ask the doc for maybe a good sleeping med. I know alot of people are scared to fly too but its one of those thngs you have to push yourself to do or else your missing out on sooo many cool experiances. I'm not to sure yet where we will settle, leaning towards Perth but depends where he can find a job. It must of been a bit more harder for you moving to Sweden because of the different language but you seem to have lasted 10 years!