Fibre?!

Options
This may be TMI but at this point I've googled, tried metamucil, ate 4 prunes a day, etc, but SOMEHOW I still feel and am constipated. I don't want to go overboard by describing it or anything, but bowel movements were the topic on The Doctors show one day and lets just say it's not normal. This has been going on for awhile. My fibre intake ranges from 20-30.. it's rarely lower than that - if it is it isn't consistent by any means. I really don't want to resort to laxatives because I know they aren't good to take often - and I don't really like taking prunes because 4 of them is 100 calories and I'd rather eat a banana or apple (yes they have fibre too!) instead of prunes everyday lol. Anyone have this same problem? Stories? My last resort is the doctor...

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? Currently are you stressed out about something? When I'm stressed I tend to get stopped up, but It passes with time and lots of water and high fiber foods. Eat beans, apples, pears, berries (blue berries and rasberries are the best).

Good luck.
  • anunknownmouse
    Options
    Fiber One is the sh** as well, pardon the pun. Har har har.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Water....... I eat lots of fibre and am very regular but if I skimp on the water I'll know it the following day.

If you're looking to boost your fibre without adding a lot of calories try All-Bran Buds. IIRC 1/3 of a cup (which is way more than I'd eat in a day) is about 80 cal. I sprinkle some on my breakfast cereal, you can add it to yogurt etc and it's, allegedly, a great way to help lower cholesterol too.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this?
  • fuelingit
    fuelingit Posts: 47
    Options
    I drink 5-7 water bottles daily on average. And I do have All Bran cereal often! I've only tried the bran buds once but I'll have to buy some. I haven't spoken to my doctor about it yet but I think it might be a good idea at this point.
  • JDKD82199
    JDKD82199 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Miralax is a good and gentle laxative
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    This breakfast totally helps: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 pear (sliced up in the oatmeal), 2 tablespoons ground flax seed, and a 1/2 teaspoon 100% grade b maple syrup (if you are used to sweeter oatmeal otherwise just the fruit is good enough.) I add 1 tablespoon of organic almond butter too (keeps you fuller longer.) That's about 14 g of fiber (and 13-14 g of protein too.)

5+ a day of fruits and vegetables totally helps too.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Flax seed mill and chia seeds lots of fiber and tons of water to get it moving
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Fibers, water and herbal tea containing senna .....
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You may not want to eat bananas, they are good for diarhea so they may stop you up
  • kaalou
    kaalou Posts: 2
    Options
    banana's have fiber, but they naturally stop you up - so avoid that.

Loads of water in the morning is useful. However, if it is a long term problem and your fiber intake is good you might want to inquire about with your doctor.

Also have you considered any drugs or supplements your are taking for side-effects? Calcium carbonate (ie: tums or rolaids), iron pills, pain killers, anti-depressants etc all have that as a side effect.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I find two things really work:
    1. lots of water
    2. bulk. Food with volume, cabbage, greens, etc.

Non-dietary help:
    1. running
  • musicianbob
    musicianbob Posts: 12
    Options
    I can't recommend this stuff more:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cellular-Research-Formulas-Dual-Action-Purifier/dp/B000UB7DBS

I've read all the sites that "debunk" this stuff. All I know is that it works and I have a few friends at work that have taken it and it works for them as well.

Ideally though, eat foods w/ more hard fiber. I typically find almonds (with healthier fats) keep things moving along and only use the above on a semi regular basis.

Hope the info is useful. good luck, Bob
  • shazamonster
    Options
    Drink loads of water, have some psyllium husk, Omega 3/6/9 and eats pulses as well as plenty of veggies :)
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as too much fiber, especially if you're not getting enough water. Your body works with the fiber and water combined to, er, move things. If you're not consuming enough water, the fiber can build up in your system. Also, there are different types of fiber, soluble and insoluble. Here's a good source: http://www.healthcastle.com/fiber-solubleinsoluble.shtml but basically insoluble fiber from some fruits, some veggies, wheat products etc move bulk through the intestines while soluble fiber from seeds, dried beans, some fruits and root veggies is good for lowering LDL cholesterol... both are important, but only insoluble fiber can help with constipation. I'd suggest having the right amount of fiber for your calorie intake and not going over... and bump your water intake as well.
    Another thing to keep in mind is that some medications can cause constopation. If you're on any, I'd suggest looking at the side effects.
    In the meantime, MOM (milk of magnesia) works so much better and quicker than other laxatives and stool softeners... it basically pulls water into the intestines... which is what you may need if you're consuming up to 30g of fiber a day! It's very safe, my OB recommended it when I was pregnant because I had major issues in my first trimester... never caused cramps and worked within a few hours.
    Good luck! I feel for ya, that really is the worst feeling... :frown:
  • sheschemes
    sheschemes Posts: 67
    Options
    Honestly,coffee is what works for me. Not lattes or anything fancy. Just drip coffee a couple of times a week with a regular diet with lots of fiber and water.
  • fuelingit
    fuelingit Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I really love bananas so I don't know if I can give them up completely, lol, but I'll try and limit my intake of them daily! I don't take any medications besides a birth control pill which doesn't list that as any of the side effects.. I've also been on it for years and haven't experienced this until a few months ago. But it has been ongoing so it is a problem.