heart rate

Options
tantalee
tantalee Posts: 130 Member
Need advise
My heart rate is, at rest, around 90. I just bought a polar FT7 HRM. Will it be accurate?

Replies

• time2shine29
    time2shine29 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    yes you want to wear it when you exercise specially when your pushing yourself so your heart rate goes up.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It is for cardio but not for lifting based on what I've read, tested myself, and heard from others.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin FR70 for my bootcamp and I find it very accurate. If you lift in a HIIT type setting, it would still be pretty accurate as you get your heart rate up and going. In my bootcamp, I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories in an hour and that includes strength training. But we make sure we keep our heart rates high. The great thing about HRM's is it helps you keep in your optimized zone.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Compared to a lot of other HRM brands out there, Polar is the best brand out there for accuracy and consistency. it's nice that you can set different HR zones on your watch too.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. It appears to be very accurate!
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yes, but after a week or so of using it, look through the data and figure out what your max heart rate usually is. Then add 5 to that and adjust your max heart rate on your watch. This makes sure that you have a more accurate account of your burn. I think it comes with a max heart rate of 200. I am usually around 70-80 at rest, but the highest I have gone in the past few weeks is 171 so I have mine set to 176. I was told that nice I go above that to push it up again...

Have you visited this thread? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/548645-setup-polar-hrm-for-more-accurate-calorie-burn-for-known-bmr

It is very helpful! I had to read it a few times to understand (on different days even!). But now that I have my adjusted age and my adjusted heart rate, I actually burn more calories!

HTH!