red beans?!?

Options
fm1304
fm1304 Posts: 31 Member
hi guys!

emm does anyone have any idea about the amount of calories in cooked red beans. homemade. i'm making some right now.. with very little oil in them. so basically its just the red beans. its a great recipe i'm using if anyone's interested. but i'm dying to get an estimate for the calories.

p.s. i checked the diary already. couldn't find anything concrete on home made red beans. one entry said 185 calories!!!!!! for 1/2 cup cooked. eeks!! thats way too much!!

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    1 cup (240grams) = 113

got it from this site, http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/Foods/1600/43125/Food.aspx
    hope it helps:wink:
  • fm1304
    Options
    thank you MissMessy.. though i ended up having just a few spoons with some bread.. somehow it felt heavy and emm couldnt eat more than that..

and hey.. congratulations for the 8kg loss :flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    thank you MissMessy.. though i ended up having just a few spoons with some bread.. somehow it felt heavy and emm couldnt eat more than that..

and hey.. congratulations for the 8kg loss :flowerforyou:
    [/quote

wats the recipe you are using
  • April0815
    Options
    how are you cooking the beans and what are you putting in them:smile:
  • fm1304
    Options
    hey April..

its really simple. presoaked the beans and then wasehd them thoroughly. sautee onion and garlic in some oil and add the beans. cook till tender. add some tomatoes and cook some more till the tomatoes are all mashed and theres a nice gravy. add salt and spices to taste. emm and thats about it..

do you think i went wrong somewhere?
  • fm1304
    Options
    oh by the way.. i skipped my daily doze of walking... so that could be a factor :sad:

emm the actualy taste comes from the spices you use.. i put in.. salt, black pepper, green chillies minus the seeds, crushed corriander seeds and emm.. yea i think thats all.. you could use a variety of other spices.. cumin seeds, cayenne pepper, cinamon etc.. just add them towards the end though.. else the beans are tough to cook

:flowerforyou:
  • April0815
    Options
    Oh no some people cook them different. I am from New Orleans and we cook them different than that. If you are interested let me know i will send it to you in the morning. your's sound really good.
  • fm1304
    Options
    sure!! i'd love to try yours..

though when i cook them as a side for breakfast (when i have guests over) its slightly different.. less of the spices and more of canned tomato paste and umm some ketchup.. makes it slightly sweet and goes great with sausages and scrambeled eggs..
  • April0815
    Options
    Where are you from?

On your food diary you have vegetables cooked indian. wat is that
  • fm1304
    Options
    im from Pakistan.

cooked indian vegetables was basically my shortcut. i will edit it with some more details later :wink:

Its summers here. and one can find some great vegetables. so i end up having those more often than not. plus you can cook them as low fat as you want.. and can get the flavors out using indian / pakistani spices.

i find that slightly more aromatic dishes make me feel better as compared to bland versions. i end up using less of both salt and oil.. and can have it just with a fork.. minus bread or rice..

emm am i making sense :blushing:
  • April0815
    Options
    yes you are . i would love some spice recommendations for vegetables. I love eating vegetable in the summer. I would just like to try new spices. i will get back to you tomorrow about my beans and spices. time to go to bed.

Thank You

April:happy:
  • fm1304
    Options
    absolutely.. and i'd love to know your recipes on it too.. :smile:

:flowerforyou: