Hi, I'm new and Nervous.

Options
PhenomeNae
PhenomeNae Posts: 130 Member
Hi! I've been on MFP for about 2 1/2 weeks now, I just got weighed in today and I've lost 9 pounds!!!! Color me amazed. There is no "trick" to it! It's just eating healthy foods, veggies, lean protein, and watching the carb intake... I have a long long way to go, but i'm going... all my old fears are popping up, "can i keep this up?" ... "what if i dont' keep losing?"... and it makes me a wreck!

How do you all deal with the little creeping doubts?

Replies

• KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hey Nervous I'm Missa!

So what happens if you don't keep losing? Answer that question for yourself that way you can have a plan of attack and it wont look so scary anymore!

Rely on your MFP's to help with the creeping doubts, otherwise - Chin up. tits out!

Good Luck!
  • hcglindsey
    hcglindsey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For me I keep telling myself this is not a diet....this is my new life....eating for health and nutrition not to be skinny but to feel good and have energy! I found this trainer on Youtube that has helped me so much her channel is leansecrets.com check her out.Good luck and dont give up you deserve to he happy and healthy.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been on MFP for about 2 1/2 weeks now, I just got weighed in today and I've lost 9 pounds!!!! Color me amazed. There is no "trick" to it! It's just eating healthy foods, veggies, lean protein, and watching the carb intake... I have a long long way to go, but i'm going... all my old fears are popping up, "can i keep this up?" ... "what if i dont' keep losing?"... and it makes me a wreck!

How do you all deal with the little creeping doubts?
    I think the main thing is to celebrate the interim successes. This can be hard as you focus on the ultimate goal. I know it's been hard for me. When I weigh in and find out I've lost I am relieved and happy. Unfortunately, this usually lasts only for a few seconds until my brain switches back to focusing on the long-term weight loss goal. At that point it's hard not to think about how far there's yet to go. It's human nature I think.

Come up with some interim goals, some of which aren't measured on the scale and celebrate when you reach them. For instance, I had a bunch of XL shirts that I would no longer wear because they wouldn't fit right. It wasn't too long into my weight loss that my wardrobe opened up and a bunch of cool clothes that I had long since abandoned were now wearable. That's worth celebrating.
  • PhenomeNae
    Options
    veryyyy great idea! I have a pair of jeans that are calling my name in my closet :wink: i can't wait till i can shimmy into those!
  • PhenomeNae
    Options
    hahah thank you! I have to be careful with the girls though, they've been known to poke eyes out!
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous! I'd take the advice of the above posters. Remember this is a life change and celebrate the small successes! That will definitely keep you motivated to keep going!

I'd also be sure to keep track of everything - food, exercise, mood, etc. If I have a week I don't lose as much as I would've liked, I can almost always check my notes for the week and pinpoint the reason why. Learning how your body works is extremely important!!

Welcome and good luck!
  • CampKelly
    CampKelly Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    One day at a time......
  • RedefiningMe
    RedefiningMe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For me I keep telling myself this is not a diet....this is my new life....eating for health and nutrition not to be skinny but to feel good and have energy!

You are so on target with this point! That is the excat reason why I chose my user name. Although my main goal is to lose weight, in the process is it is about Redefining Me! That is my frame of context.

I have only been here less than a week myself, but I have already seen the motivation and accountability I set for myself because of this site!

As you indicate, how you look at (ie your frame of context) your personal journey is a major contributor to success and each individual has to find their own personally frame...it will be different for each of us, but from the forums I have read and the conversations with friends not on the site, the common denominator for sucessful and life long change has always been an emphasis on having a healthy life.

I wish everyone success and am looking forward to being motivated by this site, both its tools and its member's sucess stories.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Definitely check out the success stories! Whenever I feel down, I go in there and it really makes me feel empowered. The motivation section is good too.
  • PhenomeNae
    Options
    For me I keep telling myself this is not a diet....this is my new life....eating for health and nutrition not to be skinny but to feel good and have energy!

You are so on target with this point! That is the excat reason why I chose my user name. Although my main goal is to lose weight, in the process is it is about Redefining Me! That is my frame of context.

I have only been here less than a week myself, but I have already seen the motivation and accountability I set for myself because of this site!

As you indicate, how you look at (ie your frame of context) your personal journey is a major contributor to success and each individual has to find their own personally frame...it will be different for each of us, but from the forums I have read and the conversations with friends not on the site, the common denominator for sucessful and life long change has always been an emphasis on having a healthy life.

I wish everyone success and am looking forward to being motivated by this site, both its tools and its member's sucess stories.

I love the points you two have made! This is exactly why i've taken this turn in my lifestyle... to be healthier, fitter, and eventually with that, happier...
    i'm excited, nervous and anxious to get the journey rolling!
  • KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good job so far. But the only thing you will have to be nervous about is all the money your going to spend on a new wardrobe. Keep up the good work!!
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options

I'd also be sure to keep track of everything - food, exercise, mood, etc. If I have a week I don't lose as much as I would've liked, I can almost always check my notes for the week and pinpoint the reason why. Learning how your body works is extremely important!!

Too right! The diary is so much more than a daily counter. You can use it to identify weight loss trends, and isolate what works from what doesn't. For example, I stalled a couple weeks ago and finally took a look at what was going on food wise when the stall began,,,low and behold I was eating higher fat than the previous weeks. That is why concise logging is so important.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I myself came onto MFP having to lose 90lbs. I don't focus on my entire 90lb goal, I focus on one pound at a time. Old habits I think would kick in if I focused too much on the BIG picture. Yes you have your down days and weeks sometimes (for me usually close to 2 weeks around TOM) But you really have to focus on jacking up your self confidence and esteem. For me it has come naturally with losing my weight naturally with the help of MFP. So far I've lost close to 35 and it doesn't really seem like it will take too long when I will be seeing the 100's permanently. My daily success is when I weigh myself during the day (when you are heavier due to everyday things) and I'm not in the next ten lbs. I'll explain that- right now I'm 223 and if I don't see 230 and over I know I am succeeding and I will never see that number again. That is how small I make my goals.

Good Luck with your journey
  • PhenomeNae
    Options

Too right! The diary is so much more than a daily counter. You can use it to identify weight loss trends, and isolate what works from what doesn't. For example, I stalled a couple weeks ago and finally took a look at what was going on food wise when the stall began,,,low and behold I was eating higher fat than the previous weeks. That is why concise logging is so important.

I will totally start putting my moods too! logging them in some way... i know it'll help, since i can be an emotional eater. thank you both for your input!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new life!! The more you do this, stay steady with reasonable diet and exercise, the better you will get at it. It just gets funner and easier as you go. I've been here a year and I am loving it!:bigsmile:
  • PhenomeNae
    Options
    I myself came onto MFP having to lose 90lbs. I don't focus on my entire 90lb goal, I focus on one pound at a time. Old habits I think would kick in if I focused too much on the BIG picture. Yes you have your down days and weeks sometimes (for me usually close to 2 weeks around TOM) But you really have to focus on jacking up your self confidence and esteem. For me it has come naturally with losing my weight naturally with the help of MFP. So far I've lost close to 35 and it doesn't really seem like it will take too long when I will be seeing the 100's permanently. My daily success is when I weigh myself during the day (when you are heavier due to everyday things) and I'm not in the next ten lbs. I'll explain that- right now I'm 223 and if I don't see 230 and over I know I am succeeding and I will never see that number again. That is how small I make my goals.

Good Luck with your journey

that's a really good way of looking at it... I think it's positive and more forgiving, in a way... instead of looking to be in a lower 10's, you can look back at the higher 10's and say... "it's a good day when i'm not THERE" instead of obsessing on where you want to be.
  • cutexanfan
    cutexanfan Posts: 1
    Options
    New here also. Gonna try and work out. Its been 2 years since i was injured.
    Just gonna try and lose the thirty pounds i've gained and get a run in.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 9 pound loss! Keep up the great work.

Don't let those little doubts get you down. They will come and go. I was 252 pounds a year and a half ago and I am now 130. I had TONS of little doubts along the way, but I never let them get the best of me!
  • kgibson17
    kgibson17 Posts: 23
    Options
    OMG! Awesome loss!!! I exercise to keep those demons out of my head. My magic number is 45min. of strenuous exercise and then I am able to maintain a positive outlook! You are doing terrific. MFP helps so much! Check in multiple times a day and that helps too. Good luck!
  • kgibson17
    kgibson17 Posts: 23
    Options
    you can do it!