How important is protein powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check to see how much protein I'm consuming!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Lean body mass is total weight minus body fat. Do you have a feel for your body fat %? My personal bias is it's better to be over than under on protein.
  • BennyZappiaa
    Options
    take whey protein 25g of protein per scoop 0 fat and 1 carb. You don't necessarily need it but if your daily protein intake should be for example 200gs and you find it hard to eat enough meats to get your daily required protein, a protein shake can do great for you
  • BennyZappiaa
    Options
    you won't gain weight because of whey protein, only by eating too many calories
  • BennyZappiaa
    Options
    iso-100 is a great brand of whey protein
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Most recommend you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight. If you can do that with regular food there is no need to use the powders. Most just find it easier than trying to eat lots of meat, beans, and other sources of protein. I use it to keep calories and other fats and carbs down while Im trying limit calories.

couldnt of said it better myself!

1 gram per lean body weight? I weight 315lbs so do I need 315 grams of protein? What is considered lean body weight?

No you would want to minus whatever your body fat percentage is. So if you weigh 315 and you are around 35% BF (just picking this number out of the air) 315-35% (110ish)=205. This would be a minimum goal for protein. Eating more would be fine. So you will need to figure out or estimate your body fat percentage.

You can see that 205 grams of protein per day is a lot of fish and chicken and thats why some of us find it easier to supplement in protein powder.

Its not concrete or anything though it is just a starting guideline.