Just signed up for my first 5k

Options
It's next Saturday the 12th. I won't be running, just walking it but I'm pretty excited about it. It starts at 8 am and I wouldn't normally eat that early on a weekend but I feel like doing something like that without eating first wouldn't be the best idea. Any advice on the best way to be ready?

Replies

• fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your 1st 5K! Wonderful NSV! Have a light breakfast like a banana and toast with peanut butter. And if you normally drink coffee in the morning, have some. Just be sure to drink it early enough so you can go to the restroom beforehand. Also if you're not used to exercise, bring a bottle of water with you so you can keep yourself hydrated. Best wishes on your 5K and on your weight loss journey!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    congrats! great job on setting your mind to completing something like that. i love a nice 5k walk. stay out of the runners way, enjoy the sights and sounds. i doubt it'll be your last 5k!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Have fun, it's a blast to do a 5k, running or walking.
  • NinjaChickie
    NinjaChickie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congrats on signing up for your 1st 5K! Wonderful NSV! Have a light breakfast like a banana and toast with peanut butter. And if you normally drink coffee in the morning, have some. Just be sure to drink it early enough so you can go to the restroom beforehand. Also if you're not used to exercise, bring a bottle of water with you so you can keep yourself hydrated. Best wishes on your 5K and on your weight loss journey!

I agree with this. Something light banana & toast is great.

If its your first 5km don't be concerned with speed or your time. Just focus on doing your best and crossing that finish line :smile:

Good luck.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! My only goal for this thing is to avoid coming in last. :) And this particular 5k is a huge one, usually a couple thousand people do it, and it goes through a park and then the zoo, it's going to be a lot of families with small children as well as runners and walkers. So I'm pretty sure I won't have to worry too much about getting in anyone's way, I'll just hang out in the rear of the pack with the five year olds and people pushing strollers. Should be fun!
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fun event. I agree - light breakfast is good. I tend to prefer a small protein shake or granola bar. Hydrate well in the days preceding the event. I tend to avoid too much liquid before a race as I don't like it sloshing around when I run! Walking shouldn't present as big of an issue.

I always like a post race banana! They usually have them at the finish line. Good luck and congrats to you!