Lemon Frozen Custard 'Squishys'

Options
waffleflavoredtea
waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
My parents have always been really into health, and they used to (and still do!) make healthy substitutions for everything, which has really inspired me as a child growing up. I thought I would share one of the fairly unique recipes my dad always made after supper. My dad used to yo-yo diet back when he was younger, and that made him insatiably hungry at night even after supper, so he always made 'squishys', as he called them, for himself, and for any of me and my sisters and mom if we wanted one.

We loved them because they were a perfect dessert! Creamy, filling, yet healthy and sugar free! So if it sounds good, please feel welcome to try this. I love this recipe and I feel close to my dad every time I make it.
This makes a single large serving or two smaller servings.

Ingredients:

> 1 lemon (rind removed, white part left on, seeded)
> 2 tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt, or 1/2 a light vanilla yogurt
> 2 pinches pure Stevia (not Truvia or other brands with added fillers)
> 1 pinch salt (very important for flavor balance)
> 1 splash of organic reduced fat milk, roughly 1/8 a cup
> about 10 ice cubes
> 1/4 cup water

Directions:

We make this by eye, but you just add everything into a Vitamix and blend away. Add the ice cubes a few at a time. When you see it starting to look solid but the Vitamix isn't anywhere near starting to have trouble blending from the thickness, you've got about the right consistency. Pour in glasses and serve with a spoon or straw.

You can make these with any citrus fruit. My dad preferred grapefruit squishys. I prefer lemon or orange. This dessert is very low calorie so it's perfect to have after a day that you don't have a lot of extra calories to 'spend' on dessert. Again, this is a family recipe that we've never shared so I don't know if it will suit everyone's unique tastes, but we love them. :smile: