What Made You Quit the First Time and Start Again?

Options
1235»

Replies

• zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I read every post and being on these message boards reading your stories really helps me keep going. The only thing i can think of to add that hasn't already been said, is that I cook for one. It's not only boring, it's unsatisfying because I like to eat with someone and enjoy the meal I/we prepared. My bf has weird eating habits and the only food we have in common is pizza, so I have eaten too much darn pizza. In my family, like many of you perhaps, our socializing is around food & we like to eat out a lot. I don't have a consistent workout partner, so that makes me sad sometimes, if I'm being honest lol.. I guess a big part of this journey for me is learning how to do this alone- making my own food as much as possible, not relying on a gym buddy, and refusing invitations out to dinner/the bar to only 1-2 week. I realize also that there is a fear or discomfort with doing this by myself, which is something I want to do some soul searching on. Thankfully, I have mfps for support because nobody in my friends or family circle is being as serious as I am. Edited to add: for example, your Mom and sister bring over pastries when they know you're watching what you eat. Or my friends who make workout plans flake at the last min, and I'm excited to workout together! Not everyone is on this journey and I respect that.

One thing that really resonates with me from this thread is to remember tomorrow is a new day, and to not let it become that entire day, wknd, week etc. of cheating. I went out to dinner last night and had takeout tonight. Mostly good foods, but no way to say how much for certain, which makes me nervous, but I'm gonna let it go and do better tomorrow.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a conscious decision and it happened gradually. I would have one unhealthy meal, which turned into a day, into a week, and so on. I also think I tried for the wrong reasons before - with a date in mind to weigh a certain amount, to be 'skinny' rather than healthy and fit, and so on.
    This time I'm enjoying what I'm doing and eating and there is no expiration date.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    So, I've noticed a fair amount of people on here lost a bit of weight, stopped trying, gained it back and are on their second try.

I was wondering, what is it that made you stop? Was it gradual or sudden?

I'm hoping to use foresight and know some warning signs so I can really stick to my guns and see this through. My whole family is a bunch of "Fad Dieters" and when they don't see results right away they give up. I never want to be that person.

Absolutely no judgement! I'm proud of anyone who is trying! I just want to keep trying with you all and not give up! :D

I lost 60 lbs doing WW after I got out of the hospital. I was staying at my parents temporarily so it was quite easy to lose weight. After my husband and I moved into our apartment I tried to get going again but I found that I was hungry all of the time. I had such a hard time sticking to the points. Also, the program had just changed from Momentum to Pointsplus so I took the free points as an opportunity to eat all of the fruit I wanted. I gained weight as a result. I guess I just burned out. I tried off an on to get back on program over the next year but I could never reign in my eating. I gained 100 lbs over that year. I think it was partially the medicines I was on. After getting off of the medicine and working with my points target so I can lose weight and enjoy fruit in the quanities I enjoy I started losing weight again. I don't feel that hungry right now. I am not sure why.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Plateau's kill me. For me, even if ONE week I find myself gaining, I start spiraling downwards. I'll get upset and aggravated and then just think "Well, this isn't even working so why bother?!" then basically eat everything around me.

Obviously, I regret it afterwards. Usually I'm able to pick myself back up after a week or so. But last time it lasted about four months, and I gained about 10 pounds back. I'm not at square one again, but I could've been at my goal weight had I not let that one setback ruin everything.

Anyway, I'm almost back to where I was before and I've learned to weigh myself less often so there's no repeat of that incident. You just need to find your weakness and - if you can't get over it - find a way around it.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I could blame regaining 70 lbs on my thyroid cancer, brain mass, migraines, drug interactions, and working full time while pursuing a PhD.

Well, I did blame it on all of those things and more.

While those things are real, so was the fact that I didn't watch what I ate or exercise. I used my poor health to justify my poor eating/exercise and SURPRISE then came worse health.

Starting over isn't fun. There will always be people who saw you lose then gain it back, unsupportive family and friends, and those inner voices that make you doubt if you can do it again.

But starting over is the key. I have learned what caused my failure and hold myself accountable.

I reward my success no matter how small with things that make me feel great about me....pedicures, new walking shoes, a fit bit, a kettle bell, a mountain bike, as long as it isn't food and good for me, I reward myself after each week of healthy eating within my calorie limit and exercise.

I have a mirror on my fridge and I force myself to stare into it before I open the door. I also have motivational quotes and pictures of the smaller me on cabinets. It reinforces why I need to be committed to a healthy lifestyle. It isn't easy but seeing those pounds slowly melt away is the best thing I can do to live longer and work towards better health. :flowerforyou:

Slainte :drinker:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Once, I did very well. I lost thirty pounds, lifted weights, felt great and met my goal. Next, I noticed that I could lift just once a week and keep my strength ( which was pretty good at the time) and I also noticed that I could eat 1000 calorie bags of potato chips pretty frequently and still not gain weight. Well, after a few months of this, as well as going back to school and spending most of my time writing and studying, I gradually started to gain it back and I gained most of it back over a couple of years.

I was also on a prescribed diet and exercise program. A difference this time is I just follow IIFYM which means I can eat a variety of different foods without following too many rules.
    I think this will be easy to continue because it is suitable for me. I also choose my own exercise routine based on my own limitations and goals.

Back then, I took it to heart when a few people looked at me with concern and told me not to lose any more weight. Now, to maintain, I will continue to track and to understand that those sometimes well meaning comments will have no influence on my lifestyle choices.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    I've lost/gained the same 15-30 pounds several times since college. The big thing for me is not establishing new routines quickly when I go through a transition. I lost college weight, then gained during grad school, lost that weight while I was a nanny, then gained when I moved to Texas and started my PhD, lost again, then gained when I got a boyfriend, lost again, then gained 30 after getting married last summer and starting a 3rd job last November, and here I am. When my routine changes, everything gets thrown off.
    Also, I delude myself into thinking that i can make good choices when I'm not tracking. It's like my brain thinks if I don't track it the calories don't count, and I have never gotten to the point of not liking the taste of crappy food. I completely lose track of what I eat.