Gluten intolerance?

Options
So I think I've got a slight gluten intolerance? I've been keeping refined carbs out of my diet for the past 3 months or so. On random cheat meals, I have pasta/mac and cheese/porridge. I find that I wake up the next day with horrible bloating, pain and diarrhea. Could it be that my body has been so accustomed to a diet without refined carbs, thus these bad consequences? I just finished my run and I do feel really hungry. But weird at the same time. I haven't really got much of an appetite today :/

I rarely have cheat meals btw. Only once in two weekends or so? 98% of the time I get my carbs from yoghurt, fruits and vegetables.

Replies

• Minxy812
    Minxy812 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,
    I have a gluten and wheat intolerance. When I cheat and have any I am very bloated and it can last up to 3 days. I also either get diarrhea or go the other way which is equally painful. All the symptoms you state can be indicators of a gluten intolerance and a gluten free diet is considered by many to be one of the healthiest around. My boyfriend cut gluten out of his diet about a year ago as he just wanted to try it he felt better and more energetic immediately but now if he has gluten he experiences what you have described. He hasn't been tested so we are not sure if he is also intolerant but we have just concluded that it shows you how bad gluten is for you regardless!
    :)
  • vanderandkarl
    Options
    maybe best to print your food diary off nd ask your gp to send you for tests x

good luck x
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Gluten is in loads of food so you won't have been avoiding it by just cutting out pasta and bread. It's best to take your food log to your dr and get it checked out and see if it's necessary for you to go wheat / gluten free as its a lot harder than just not eating pasta if you have to cut it out fully.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten & wheat intolerence, recently diagnosed. I have noticed so many positives since giving it up - I can lose weight (used to really struggle to shift a pound and then I would gain it back the next week), no more bloating so that I look pregnant , no more dangerous gas (dangerous to those around me!), no more diarrohea (sp), I eat more protein now and to be honest don't really miss anything I used to eat that much. I occassionally have GF replacements but not that often now I am getting the hang of it better. The biggest plus for me is that after 25 years my migraines stopped - couldn't believe that I could have stopped them years ago by just doing this.
  • dmf80
    dmf80 Posts: 60
    Options
    Ask your doctor for an E-95 Food Panel Test. This test shows your bodies ability to handle 95 common food choice (red meat, dairy, gluten, fish, etc). You can alter you diet to your specific body and make your body as efficient as it can be. It's great!!!!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I've recently noticed the same thing. I've been tested by a gastroenterologist and I'm not celiac but had all your symptoms plus very low iron (so he did the test). He said just to cut things out and see how I go. He thought maybe fructose malabsorbtion but I have cut wheat out and I can SO tell the difference!

*edit typo
  • emilypsb
    emilypsb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Those def sound like gluten intolerance symptoms. I have the skin version of celiac (DH). The main symptom is a horrible, ugly, itchy rash, so it is easy for me to stay away from gluten (unless I get cross contamination at a restaurant or something). But I also noticed some major changes when I went off gluten: skin got darker, acne better and less bloating.

I suggest you get the blood test, but make sure to eat gluten before you go in.