Fitbit opening my eyes....

Options
Hi

I bought a fitbit this week and I love it BUT

Having logged everything faithfully recently I have noticed since getting the fitbit I am now netting below my goal which I manually set to 1400 (BMR is about 1342 TDEE varying between 2000 - 2300)

I have set my macros to 40/30/30 and am fairly close to them and am going to have a 'splurge' night tonight....

Will this matter much if I splurge tonight? I dont want to deprive my body of anything and my energy levels are currently pretty good... Or does anyone have any suggestions as to additional foods I could pop in without gorging on too many carbs and going over... My diary is open and I am a vegetarian, although i dont drink cows milk, just soya. I havent recorded drinks but drink loads of decaffinnated tea at work and 2 pints of cordial at home.

I know it looks like I eat a lot of the same stuff but I do like it :wink:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice :drinker:

Replies

• JD830278
    JD830278 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can't answer your question... But I thought I'd reply and move it up the board for ya ;)

Hope someone more knowledgeable can help
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    First off- Have you been losing more than the MFP setting? ie: more than 2lbs per week if that is what you chose? If so, you need to eat the recommended net and if not, the cal adjustment could be off.

I'm guessing you haven't been eating your exercise cals previously? Or maybe you have yourself to light on activity level? If you are new to the fitbit, be sure to set it up properly... you need to measure your steps and input the measurements. Also, for some people fitbit overestimates calories, so when you get your adjustment to MFP, you may be getting too many cals back. I started by eating back 1/2 of the fitbit credit and then adding until I found the proper balance. (and adjusting the step measurement got it real close to actual)
  • tinawharrison
    tinawharrison Posts: 123
    Options
    Cheese is pretty good for no carbs, just watch the fat content... I'm having the same problem, finding things to eat that tick all the right boxes but increase my calories! x
  • BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    A healthy way to increase cals without carbs and saturated fat is to eat nuts, peanut butter, olives are fabulous, humous, oily fish (if you eat fish?). Not that I eat enough of these things! Would you recommend getting a fitbit?
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I find it useful to look at fitbit's new graphs - you can look at net calorie burn over a week or month versus calories consumed (that get transferred from MFP). Suggest you get a month of data on weekly calorie deficit and see how it compares to the scale. I know this is not a quick solution but probably the best way for you to figure out how to make fitbit work best for you.

I've used fitbit for 4 months. Have found it overcalculates calorie burn for walking. I also manually enter calorie burns (into fitbit site, enter activity) from my heartrate monitor for cardio workouts and running. I'm not sure the best way to approximate calorie burn from strength training. If I wear the HRM during it is one thing but all the energy spent repairing muscle tears for the next few days I'm not sure about.

My fitbit stats for the last month:
    Calories burned: 59647
    Calories consumed: 54894
    difference: 4753 calories. Should equate to just over a pound lost

actual weight loss: 2.4 pounds

I'm guessing the difference is due to inaccuracies in me tracking calories for strength training in P90X.

I know this sounds like a small weight loss. I am approaching maintenance and just spent a large sum of money on alterations so not trying for major results at this point.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    First off- Have you been losing more than the MFP setting? ie: more than 2lbs per week if that is what you chose? If so, you need to eat the recommended net and if not, the cal adjustment could be off.

I'm guessing you haven't been eating your exercise cals previously? Or maybe you have yourself to light on activity level? If you are new to the fitbit, be sure to set it up properly... you need to measure your steps and input the measurements. Also, for some people fitbit overestimates calories, so when you get your adjustment to MFP, you may be getting too many cals back. I started by eating back 1/2 of the fitbit credit and then adding until I found the proper balance. (and adjusting the step measurement got it real close to actual)

Thanks guys - have just found your replies....

I am set to 1lb a week as have 28 to go....

I had activity level to Sedentary as I sit on my butt all day at work, but eating back what MFP recommends....... How do you change step measurements?

I've checked back over the last week on Fitbit site and MFP and am only netting 800-1100 per day no wonder nowts happening... I've contacted the EMTWL group and they've suggested upping to 1729 for now unless Fitbit says I've burnt more than 300 cals then eat back the odd...

But I always find I'm way over in the Carb department... Does that matter so much, I'd have thought as long as I'm getting a good 'net' in then thats ok?

I just didnt realise how little I've been netting until now...