tastey salad but apples go brown. help?

Simplicity
Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
edited September 19 in Recipes
my problem is i made a salad today but i only cut up the apple an hour or so before i ate it but they still went brown round the edges is there a way to combat this without cutting it up seperately when i am ready to eat it,. its just i neede to take it to work.
here is what i made it was lovely and i still have some left for my (2nd) lunch lol

chicken breast marrinaded in

crumbled oxo cube chicken x2
grated ginger cm2
grated garlic (as muchas you like) i use one clove
grated red chili pepper no skin just the juicy bit
2 teaspoons of (insert your oil you use here) i used tesco olive oil.
i also added some curry spices but sometimes nicer without
1.chil poweder a pinch
2.tumeric a pinch
3.powdered corriander teaspoon
4.garam masala teaspoon

let the chicken rest in the spicy mix for a little while do it the night before if you like.

oven cooked for 20-30mins on 180 ( i really have no idea about cooking time with my oven but until tender but not rock hard) i'm a man don't you know lol

then i did a mixed salad of lettuce celery red, yellow pepper spring onion and cucumber and apple.
once the chicken cooled i cut it up into strips and added to the salad when ready to eat.

i thought it looked a little dry but i suppose its up to you what you put on it. i used Heinz light salad cream just a drop and it had a nice kick ut was etter than a hot meal in this heat.

cals are low too if you like it
i think with a big chunk of mixed salad and dressing with the chicken say a breast at 200gs you are looking at aobut 350-450 depending on if you use a lot of oil or not in the marinade but hey subsitute around it wil still taste good.
not totally sure of other figures but i'm still with in my figure for today

Replies

• squirt a lil lemon juice on them
  • Simplicity
    squirt a lil lemon juice on them

cheers i'll have to get some lemon juice now lol. i fancy the same tommorrow
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Apples will turn brown due to oxygen. To prevent this, I was taught to sprinkle them with a little OJ or lemon juice. The acid prevents the discoloration. I would imagine lime juice would work as well.
    If you don't want (or have) the juices on hand, then just wait a bit longer to cut the apple to put it in the salad.
    Hope this helps.

Diane
  • Simplicity
    Apples will turn brown due to oxygen. To prevent this, I was taught to sprinkle them with a little OJ or lemon juice. The acid prevents the discoloration. I would imagine lime juice would work as well.
    If you don't want (or have) the juices on hand, then just wait a bit longer to cut the apple to put it in the salad.
    Hope this helps.

Diane

both very helpful thank you very much
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Any citrus juice works. Enjoy!
  • it does sound like a yummy salad ... I'll have to try it!
  • Isaacsmama
    Isaacsmama Posts: 43
    I actually just got cutting up a whole bunch of apples for a road trip tomorrow! I usually take a big bowl of water and lemon juice (about 3:1) if Im doing a lot. I soak em a while, dry em and bag em. they last a few days that way. I also really like pinapple juice. Its less tart that way, and I even think it works better on certain apples. Dont water it down though. Just put a few drops in the bag and toss to coat. :)
This discussion has been closed.