Exercising moms with babies....HELP!

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm a FTM to a beautiful 6month old. Until recently, my daughter was content to hang out and play with toys while I exercised. Well, the last 2 weeks that has completely changed! She won't let me do anything!!! I've gotten no exercise in and it's affecting me physically and mentally. I could get up at 4:30a to work out, but then I'd be a zombie all day. I could work out when hubby gets home, but then we'd have a grand total of ZERO minutes together all day b/c he gets home so late. Naps are impossible b/c she is an awful napper and I am constantly in there to replace the binky and soothe her back to sleep.

I know I need to choose one of those options, I really don't have any other choice....what works for you?

Replies

• CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids, ages 10, 3 and 2. I have started getting up early in the morning to exercise since it's really my only "alone" time during the day. My husband works out-of-town M-F, so it's just me and the kids. The little ones nap for a couple of hours in the afternoons, but that's when I do stuff around the house and then when the little ones go down for the night I have homework to do.

Sure, getting up at 5:15 am isn't awesome, but I've gotten used to it and feel much more energized throughout the day once I start my day off with a workout.

HTH
  • Siren_Teffy
    Siren_Teffy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have two kids and a dog. My three year old loves to exercise with me but is constantly under foot. I'm sure that's never happened to you. And the dog thinks ab exercise or anything on the floor is an inventation to play. I have delt with this in a couple of ways. The first was to get used to waking early. My hubby is in the military so I decided that PT time for him was a good PT time for me while everyone else slept. It also knocked out exercise for the day so I was pumped and motivated to eat right. I didn't want to make it a waste to drag my butt out of bed. :wink: The second way is if ya can't beat em' join em'. I stopped to wrestle with the dog for a couple of mins before putting her in the back yard to chase bugs instead. If my little boy wants to exercise with me then he can, but I will switch from arobics where I am tripping over him to sit ups push up or something where there is not a lot of moving around. I used to beat myself up about not sticking to the program. Then I would get discouraged and not exercise at all. How dumb is that?! I decided that exercise is not my life but needs to be part of it. As long as my rear is in gear everyday, I am making progress. I can always slip back into the program when the three year old attention span comes to the rescue and he moves on to something else. I keep hearing Dori from Finding Nemo in my head, "Just keep swimming......just keep swimming" Hope this help! :smile:
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY high maintenance 17 month old. The only tome I can workout is when he naps( sometimes never) or in the morning after breakfast. I take him outside and we feed our animals, and then I pop him in the jogging stroller and the dogs go with is for a jog down the canal by our house. By the time we get back he is ready for a nap and then I do a workout video....QUIETLY. Some days he cries in the stroller, but usually he does okay for a while. For a long time I couldn't workout at all. Unfortunately, the only time I can go to the gym is at night when my husband is home, since he wont tolerate the daycare. Its very tough dealing with uncooperative little ones.
  • CrazyMidget611
    CrazyMidget611 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I am just going to have to suck it up and get it done before she wakes up. I'll get used to it. Right?....RIGHT?? lol